Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua Report 6/3
Hi again,

I've recently been reluctant to post about Mantua but a man, one of our moderators, who I respect for judgment/info./common sense seems to think that it might even help. At least that's my conclusion. I've been concerned about a small lake and over fishing. Point is - over population of small bass and blues - let's take as many as possible out, especially small bass. He's got quit an analysis of what's happened and the wrong decisions that were made there!!!

Anyway, went with my buddy and our pooches in our tubes last Thursday and spent about 4-5 hrs. fishing. We actually had a ball! He caught a 16" bass, some smaller ones and lots of blues. I spent a lot of time using my cuda and kind of exploring. Was trying to locate "weed edges" and fish for bigger guys. Boy, the weeds, especially when they come up to the top or close (which was a lot) play havoc with my screen. If nothing else, my cuda can tell me when fish are around or not, so I don't waste my time. I'm still wasting some time just enamored by the view. I'm still in the mode of being able to locate "weed edges" visually and using the cuda to supplement.

I made the mistake of going close to shore and started catching blues on almost every cast. Kept a dozen in the 8 - 8 1/2" range. That stopped all my exploring and learning. I must have caught 270 Zillion blues. This has to be a wondrful fishery for the kids.

Everything is working great on the cuda except for one thing. The power connection to the screen, in my opinion is a poor design. I say this because I went to plug it in and had a lot of trouble. Was bending pins, cursing, re-bending pins, seat pouring in my eyes, finally got it in enough to work. Pin alignment is very critical with very small female holes!!!! I got it home, got it in all the way and have decided to make sure that it stays that way when not in use. Currently, I'm considering ways to anchor the connection permanently. Anyone else have this problem with a good solution?

Looking forward to the cuda and Flaming Gorge!!!

[crazy]Leaky
Hey leaky were you using anything on the top?

Trent
[signature]
Trent,

Nope, used a very small dark curly tail on a 1/32 oz. jig. Folks next to me in a boat were using top water flies and catching a some. I'm almost positive if you sere to cast towards shore, close, you couldn't miss (in the right area). Walking out, I could see em stacked right off shore in the shallows.

Leaky