Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
water skeeter pontoon at costco
I was referred here fromt he Utah board. I've read all 22 pages on this board and found lots of great info.

Have any one you seen the snohomish water skeeter pontoon at costco? I'm really close to getting it but wanted an opinion or two on it. The quality seems to be pretty good it has 9ft pvc bladders (can't remeber if they were stiched or welded) an aluminum frame, brass oar locks, swivel paded seat, motor mount, storage rack 7 ft aluminum oars (price $417.00). For $60 more I could get the dual bladder OUTcast cougar from Sportsmans but it seemed a lot heavier and only had 8 ft 'toons. I'm going to flaming gorge on Friday so I want to pick something up.

I don't do it very often but I want something I can take on the green river too. rapids up to a class 2 maybe a 3. The guy at sportmans said that the cougar worked just fine in rapids but people will say anything to sell something. Mainly what I'll use it for is on lakes (utah, the gorge willard etc) and maybe sections of the Jordan with rare trips to the green but obviously nothing too wild. I'm a pretty big guy too at 5' 10" and 245#

Any input would be great
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Howdy. Glad you could find us and happy you entrust such a big decision to our humble forum.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have also been looking at the Cougar, by Outcast. I have been kicking around a Super Fat Cat by Outcast for about a year and overall I am pleased with the quality and the workmanship. They are well designed and carry a good warranty.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]One of the big things about the Cougar that appeals to me is the lower profile. The major problem with most rounded chamber pontoons is that they catch the wind and make it almost impossible to fish in breezy conditions. Of course, we both know that there is never any wind on Strawberry, or any other Utah pond, but it is something to think about.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I am also impressed by the take-down frame, the deck, the motor mount, the anchor system, etc. In short, as soon as I get moved back up to Utah (West Jordan) I plan to get a couple for TubeBabe and myself. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]You will have to make your decision. If you make it strictly on price, that's okay. As far as handling the bumpy water on the Green, either craft will suffice. Also, both will handle much more weight than you will subject them to. As far as total weight of the craft, more is better in a pontoon. That usually translates into denser material and greater strength. You are not going to backpack it into the Uintas anyway.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I couldn't find any pics of the Water Skeeter, but here is the info on the Cougar, if anybody else would like to see the subject of your inquiry...and the reasons for my personal recommendation. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I copied the pics and info from Riverwire. You can see they have a higher price than Sportsmans, even though the shipping is free. If you need one for Friday, you will need to buy locally.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Let us know what you get, take some pics and post a report if you will. Good luck.[/size][/#0000ff] [center][Image: outcastcougarbig.jpg][/center] [left] [left][/left]

[font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][#019e62][size 4]Outcast Fishcat Cougar[/size][/#019e62][/font]

[/left] [font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size 2]96 x 60 Inflated Size. Anchor System[/size][/font] [font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size 2]Included.[/size][/font] [font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size 2] Capacity 350 lbs.[/size][/font] [font "Arial"][size 2]Weight [/size][size 2]75 lbs.[/size][/font] [font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size 2]$569.00 Retail.[/size][/font] [left][font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size 2]The new Fish Cat Cougar from Outcast is the latest innovation in personal adventure crafts. Featuring 8' pontoons that draft only 3" of water, the Cougar allows quick and easy maneuvering in the skinniest of water. The low-profile, 10" diameter "quad tubes" give you less wind resistance and straighter tracking than conventional rocker-style tubes. The sturdy 7-piece aluminum frame breaks down to a very portable size while still maintaining its effectiveness as a rigid and rugged rowing frame. Comes complete with roomy cargo pockets, integrated anchor system (anchor not included), cargo deck, motor mount, 2-pc. breakdown oars, stripping apron and padded seat.[/size][/font] [/left]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome to our forum. We would like to see you register and drop in once in awhile.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The TU Colorado is popular with several members, and if you look down through the Best Of The Best reviews and questions, you will see some past post links.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Unless you plan to attack lots of jagged rocks, on a regular basis, the Colorado should work fine. It is 9 feet, which meets the minimum requirement for several states, for running rivers. It is not the roughest and toughest river runner, but it is also very affordable. Some of the most sturdy craft run three or four times the investment of the Colorado. But, it is well worth the money they ask, and is a good "starter" craft to help you learn the basics and to appreciate the high priced differences in other craft.[/#0000ff]
[signature]