Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daniels questions
Hi, I've heard a lot about Daniels reservoir, and I think I'd like to give it a try in the near future, but I haven't been able to find out much about the reservoir itself.

What sort of camping facilities are available? Forest service, state or private? Is it just open camping or are there specific sites? Is there a fee?

Would it be better to stay in Malad?

Is there a web site where I can find out this information?

Any suggestions on fishing it?

I think it'll just be me and my wife in pontoons. She doesn't flyfish, and I'm not that great at it, so I figure crankbaits and spinners, but I'm open for suggestions. Is it busy the 4th of July weekend?

Thanks for the info.
[signature]
I have the 2000 BLM edition of the 1:100,000 scale USGS map of that area and it shows that all of the land around Daniels is private. Most of the small reservoirs in SE Idaho are surround by private land that is often owned by the irrigation company. Please obey any signs posted around these reservoirs or the public could loose access to some of these reservoirs.

I don't think there is any camping allowed at Daniels but I'm not 100% sure. I have never paid a fee to park there.

The F&G watches the no bait waters like a hawk so make sure you are following all of the regulations including pinching your barbs. Since most crankbaits have two hooks you'll have to modify your crankbait so it still runs the same with only one hook.

Daniels will be crowded on the 4th of July but I would consider more than 5 other vehicles in the parking lot crowded.

I would recomend that you fish with something you have confidence in. I would guess that most of the diet of the fish in Daniels is made up of nymphs or possible fresh water shrimp.
[signature]
Thanks BrianID. I've been reading the Idaho fishing rules and am prepared to modify the lures to accept a single hook.

It looks like it would be best to either just drive up for the day or stay in malad until i could check out the camping situation. I've read that there is camping available, and heard that you can camp on the shore, but I haven't seen or heard anything official. I'd hate to drive the motorhome up there only to find that I drove the gas guzzler just to stay in a motel. These gas prices are gettin' me down.

We might even take a drive up this saturday for free fishing day.
[signature]
According to their website, they have 20 sites availalbe. They didn't say whether they have RV hookups or not. If you are self contained, I'm sure you will do alright.
[signature]
Where is the website?
[signature]
Here is one of the website pages. Just browse through it. The previous info was the boating parking. I apologize.
[signature]
Thanks guest. was it open camping or is it a campground? I have a self contained motorhome.

Tuben2, i don't see a link.
[signature]
Guest,

It would be great if you would register a user name and post here more often. More people that post here the better this site is.

I call those camp grounds like what you experienced at Daniels Utahvilles. There is always a Utahville just outside of Lava Hot Springs on holiday weekends as well as a number of other select places in Eastern Idaho.
[signature]
Here's a link that you might find helpful. I didn't think they allowed camping at Daniels but I haven't ever really paid attention and don't fish there much.

http://www.idahoparks.org/rec/Boating/bo...egionID=11
[signature]
The link was there and no longer works. I will check back in awhile.
[signature]
That's because we're not allowed to have fun in Utah. I hope to retire in Idaho in another 20 years or so, but that's just a dream right now. Challis looks pretty cool to me, but I've only seen pictures of it. Save me a spot.

Tuben2, thanks for the link. I think I saw that at one point, but it's not very descriptive(no fault of yours). I'm guessing it's some sort of state park then?
[signature]
There are several links out of Google. most of them are very vague though.
[signature]
Thanks tuben2.
[signature]
Mateo- I confess that I am one of those dang Utahns that fishes in Idaho. Living in Tremonton it isn't too far to make a run to one of the Malad area lakes. I haven't been to Daniels this year yet, but have fished it a lot in the past. There are several restroom latrines along the east shore and at the boat launch area, but no RV park. All the camping I have seen is primitive along the shoreline. I have seen lots of tents and camp trailers there overnight. There is no water so you need to take it with you. There is a road that goes along the east shoreline for almost a half mile and lots of people pull off along there to camp. There is another camping area on the west side, but you have to go all the way around the lake to the north on the highway and then west on a dirt road and then back to the south past a ranch to get there.

The limit is two fish over 20 inches long, and you are supposed to use barbless hooks, although I don't know too many people who do. It is artificial lures and flies only, no bait allowed. Sometimes trolling flat fish, spinners, or flies can be real good. Most people there fly fish and years ago Scuds and Damsel flies were productive patterns. Daniels is like everywhere else in that one day it can be great and the next you can't buy a bite. The fish you do catch are usually real nice ones, but seldom do you catch one over the 20" size so it tends to be mostly catch and release.

I recommend that you take the motor home and stay at the lake for the night. There isn't a fee area that I know of. I imagine you will have lots of company on the July 4th weekend, but it still beats sitting around home on the Holiday. Acey
[signature]
Daniels is a great place to learn how to float tube. I had a great time when I lived up there.

Its just a small lake with limited camping spots. I did best on the north end towards the tree. Good luck
[signature]
Awesome information. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you guys very much.
[signature]