Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge report
Quick report -- wind and lots of it. We managed to fish a little on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings, and managed to catch some kokanee, rainbows and macks, but not many of any of any of them. Enough to make the grandkid happy. Tried for bass for awhile but they didn't seem to be in the shallows. Because of the wind we spent lots of time at the KOA. Thank goodness it has a nice swimming pool and there was a friend for the grandkid to play with. Thanks for the suggestions -- just wish the weather would have been more cooperative.
[signature]
Sorry to hear that you didn't do real well on the fish. I went up Saturday and got skunked on top of motor troubles. I'm glad that the grandson still had a fair time. Now that you've been, you should make it back up when the wind is at least a little more cooperative. I'll be back up there soon just so I can prove to myself that I can still catch a fish up there. That was the first time in I think 5 years that I have been skunked up there. I'd like to blame it on the motor troubles, but we still marked fish, just couldn't catch them.
[signature]
Bodine and me fought the wind on the gorge the 7,8 & 9. we picked up a few macks. Here's a pic of one

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3](edit) I fixed the picture attachment. BLM[/size][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for the report Kent, did you see any of the other guys up there? What area were you fishing?
[signature]
Didn't see anyone else. We fished out of the second boat ramp just north of the pipeline.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Hey mtnman![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Nice mack but you ain't gettin' off that easy! How about some details on your trip and fish, like length and weight? He must be worthy of your wall if you're looking for a taxidermist. That trolling run you caught him on is a pretty popular place for good macks.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Well, as you guessed, it"s going on my wall. It was no monster in Flaming Gorge standards but it was a heck of a trophy for me. He is 27 1/2 lbs. 41" long. I was downrigging a big rapala. He spooled me out about 400 yards of line. I didnt have much left so we chased it around with the boat. 40 minutes later we had him in the boat. This was our first trip to the gorge. We caught a few small macks and a 10lb, a 11 1/2 and this big boy.These old Bear Lake Hillbillies will be going to the gorge again!

Mtnman
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Congrats on your very nice fish. After tasting what the Gorge has to offer, you'll never be satisfied on Bear Lake again! HA! That a $400 to $500 mount for that trophy! Again, nice fish![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Talk to Taximan. He does a nice job. I've seen his work and it is good. PM him and stop by his shop in Wellsville if you get a chance. He had a BL mack in there when I was down there and he hit the color pattern just right. As we both know, those gorge macks are a lot different. Campbell Taxidermy if you want to call him.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Predator and I fished the Gorge this weekend and did pretty good. Like you, we caught a lot of pups up to 10 lbs but did manage one over 30 lbs. Go check out the fuzzyfisher challenge board if you want to see a pic of the fish. There's a little blood but it was a surface wound. He was released to catch another day.[/size][/font]
[signature]
well i was on the gorge all weekend and didnt fish at all,now how can that be you might ask.this weekend was the tenth anual buckboard fishing derby,and i was one of the judges,and i had to be on the water the whole time.I dont know if any BFTer's were in the derby or not,,,lots of folks from utah there.a 31 lb mack won the mack division,over 170 teams entered,ihope everyone had a good time.
[signature]
Hey kokeking-

Wow, that's a lottta boats! Do you know if the results are going to be posted online anywhere? I would really be curious to see what they turn out to be. Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know what the entry fees and prize amounts were? We heard a rumor in Manila that the entry was something like $150 per person.

Wasn't that wind fun?
[signature]
don, the fee was 150.oo per team with a min of two and a max of four per team,as far as the results of the derby i will try to find out what they were and will post.80% of the money collected was given back as prize money,i think that they paided the top three spots in the mack class,and up to the top ten spots in the other classes.I had a great time being a judge,talked to lots of good people.for the most part people were very courtious and were just out to catch some fish and have a good time.and the wind,it got done right nasty sunday afternoon.Yes that was a lot of boats,and i had heard that the utah chapter of bassmasters was haveing thier own tourney on the lake at the same time.It was confuseing at times as who was fishing in what tournament.
[signature]
I went up to the gorge friday and Saturday and had a miserable time. The wind blew all day Friday. We stayed at the Lucerne Valley campground of the 145 campsites there were only about 30 of them filled. But as our luck goes about 25 white trash hillbillies had to pick the site right next to ours. They were cussing, drinking and carrying on until well past midnight. I can take it during non quiet hours but when curfew comes people need to just be quiet. Anyway after 11 pm I went over there and asked them politely to quiet down. That went over so well that they tolds me that they came there every year for the last 5 years and started to threaten me so I just went back to my tent took a couple benedryl and just tried to go to sleep. I've camped all over the country and never had I had such a bad experience as that. I probably would have called the cops had I been able to get a cell phone signal. I talked to the park hosts the next morning and they said they couldn't really do anything about it. It's good to know that the scum of the earth still rule sometimes.

Anyway to get this back on to fishing I caught one measly smallie in the 2 hours was able to be out on the water. And I caught the smallie from the boat dock waiting for the boat trailer to come get the boat.
[signature]
Nice catch!!! I cant wait to get back up to the Gorge to get me some fishies!!! thanks for the report
[signature]