Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downrigger Question???
i have recently installed 2 cannon sporttrolls on my boat and tried them out at porcupine they got my lures down where i wanted them and was pleased with that but...

i bought the set up to use rubber bands and the rubber bands would not break i had 20lb mono and still couldnt break them am i doing something wrong?

i have fished with a couple people that use rubberbands thats why i thought id give them a try. but cant seem to get them to break when the fish hits the lure or when i pull on it.

help me please>>>
[signature]
I have never used rubber bands for that very reasons but after reading a few post about this subject I remember something about using different size rubber bands. I guess you should use the smallest you can find and see if that will help. I use the regular clips and have never had a problem with the release but it really depends on the size of the fish. When the clip doesn't release quick enough, I just jerk on the rod and that usually gets it to release. Good luck. WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Silly boy, go to smaller rubberbands! I use rubberbands and they work great. I've got a few different sizes for different types of trolling. When you're hauling around a tiny little flatfish, apex, or koke killer you don't need much to hold it but if you have giant pop gear with a T50 behind it then you need a beefer band.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]One tip, keep your rubberbands in a place cool and dark. Rubberbands can go to pot quick if left in the sun and allowed to dry out. Nothing like going fishing and finding out the rubberbands are brittle and keep breaking. Even a bag of rubberbands left on my boat and allowed to get hot in a covered compartment still breakdown. Good thing they are cheap![/size][/font]
[signature]
I hate rubber band releases. I use Cannon and OffShore releases. The pads last for years, I don't have to keep buying supplies, and I keep them on my boat without degradation. But find what works and stick with it.
Cannon actually makes a box on rubber band releases - just look in the downrigger accessories section and they usually have them - Sportman's has them - then you can get the size and go for the bulk buy...
[signature]
I use rubber band releases, but I have started experimenting with other releases, because the fish often don't break the rubber band (I know I should catch larger fish). To break the bands with the rod, reel down until the line is tight, and then give the rod a quick snap upwards. It is funny to watch guys trying to break those rubber bands -- it is truly amazing how strong a rubber band can be.
[signature]
I use the regular clips. The white one to be more specific
[signature]
which clips would work the best for smaller trout and kokes?
[signature]
Check this out .

[url "http://www.offshoretackle.com/release.htm"]http://www.offshoretackle.com/release.htm[/url]
[signature]
You just have to try different postions on the clip and find what works best for you. Most of the fish I catch don't release the line from the clip. I have just learned to watch the pole to know when something is one. 90% of the time I am right.
[signature]
P4L,

Stick with the rubber bands, here's why. When fishing for Kokes you "should" use a snubber to prevent pulling the lure out of the fishes mouth. The rubber band acts as a snubber. You can buy several different sizes for what your fishing for. Office Depot is a great fishing store. Rubber bands are cheap, like a buck for 250, lose one release and your out 10 bucks. You can stack with rubber bands and if you have slide releases you never have to pull your ball up if the upper one gets hit. (have Rich show you this trick, I'll be out of town for the next 6 months). If you hang a small one with fixed releases it's really hard to tell if a fish is on. WIth RBs you can tell the minute it gets hit. Once you get the hang of it it's a piece of cake.

Scott
ive used the rubberbands with blm and kentofnsl and find them easyer to use and for kokes they seem to be the best way to go. i never thought about officemax thanks scott. ill miss ya while your gone . stay safe buddy.
[signature]
[red][size 3]Heya P4L, here's the ones that I like. There is minimal abrasion on your line unlike the clip type ones. The little pegs have a groove for your line to fit in and the peg takes the wear instead of your line. Your tension is dialed in by adjusting the screw collar over the peg instead of guessing how far back to clip your line in the pads of the clip models or what size rubberbands you forgot to bring so you don't have to screw with a bunch of stripped out pads or different sized rotting rubber bands. [url "http://www.scotty.com/hair_triggers.htm"]http://www.scotty.com/hair_triggers.htm[/url][/size][/red]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=5214;]
[signature]