Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sturgeon report!
[size 1]Wiperslayer1 and I just returned from sturgeon fishing in Idaho. We ended up getting six sturgeon to the boat (39 inches, 41 inches, 3 at 49 inches, and one at 52 inches). These are just pups as far as sturgeon go, but nonetheless we are thrilled to have caught them, and I have my new largest fresh water fish ever. Four channel cats and about 60 small mouth bass (we could have caught many more, but we only fished for them for at most two hours). Great time, great company and weather was great for much of the time. Pictures to be posted tomorrow. Now, if I could get someone on the Idaho board to help me out with some locations to fish around the Burley area for sturgeon (if there are any) I could fish for them far more often, and save over three hours of drive time!). Anyone out there willing to make a deal?[/size]
[signature]
Sounds like you had a good trip. I saw some of the pictures on the Utah board. Did you fish only during the day or did you try some night fishing as well? How many oz of lead were you using? And what size of line?
The best sturgeon fishing is found around Mountain Home and downstream of there. There are some sturgeon between American Falls Dam and Lake Walcott and a few between Twin Falls and Mountain Home but the extra drive to get to the better fishing is worth it.
[signature]
We were told that the best fishing was two hours before dark and one hour after dark. We didn't catch a single fish during those time periods. On Thursday and Friday evenings we fished until about 10:00 PM (no later any night). Our best luck came in the mornings; although, the only time that we got into several bites in a short period of time was around 8:30 AM on Friday. On Thursday 6 ounces of lead (pyramid sinker with a sinker slider) was about right. Friday was beautiful weather and 4 ounces was adequate until late in the afternoon, when 8 ounces was necessary. The wind started blowing Friday night and blew all night. Saturday 8 ounces was used. Fortunately on Saturday the wind was blowing downstream, which works out far better than when it is blowing upstream. Other than one sturgeon that hooked itself, the best bite of the trip came from about a 2 pound channel cat. If one doesn't use adequate lead it is next to impossible to tell when a sturgeon is biting. It is amazing how softly those sturgeon bite (or is it suck). I use 30 pound line on one reel and 50 pound on two other reels. I use 50 pound dacron line for my leader and either a 7/0 or 8/0 octopus hook.
[signature]