Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 8-14-2004
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Fished the Bear Saturday morning for about 4-1/2 to 5 hours with nothing to show for our efforts but a good boat ride. The two young lads I took had never fished Bear Lake, jigged or trolled with down riggers. It kept me busy trying to keep everything going! It's easier to do it yourself than try and explain first timers what to do.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We got out on the water about 6:00am and found plenty of fish stacked up in 76 feet of water. We jigged for a few hours and then ran the riggers through them but nada, not a dang thing. Hunger got the best of us and we went back in around 10:30-11:00am. The surface water temp was 72 degree. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The marina was a zoo. Took us 15 minutes to get back into the marina because of the constant stream of boats coming out of the marina. All five lanes on the ramp were in full swing with a 10-15 wait to launch. The new additions to the marina are really nice and the flow of the marina is so much better.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The lake has plenty of public access where you can drive right down to the water and set up your sunshade and picnic stuff on the beach. In fact, the beach area adjacent to Garden City had more people on the shoreline than I've ever seen before. Looked like a city! I didn't get south of Ideal Beach to see how many folks were on the beachs south of Ideal and just off the Sweetwater trailer park.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We camped at the KOA. It was full to capacity. I talked to the manager and he figured there were around 800 people in the campground for the weekend. WOW! Nice park with all the ammenities but they need more bathrooms. There was a constant line to use the facilities.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We didn't fish Sunday. Slept in and had a big breakfast before pulling up stakes and heading home.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Say it ain't so Joe! Well, I guess even the best of us get skunked once in a while.

FM
[signature]
Wiperslayer and I have been thinking about going to the Bear but after reading your report I think we will hold off, at least until after Labor day. Thanks for the report, did you make it over to the East side of the lake? WH2
[signature]
I'm Sad to hear that the Bear has not been too good. I will be there on saturday and all I will have time to do is jig for a while. I have never spent much time fishing on Bear lake in the summer. Can someone please give me some good advice on where are some hot spots on the lake and what to use this time of year. Maybe even through in some depths that you usually see fish at. I won't have a fish finder.
I usually fish on the rivers with the fly rod or in small lakes troling but I really don't know much about catching fish on the Bear. I would appreciate any ideas you have thanks. Mike

ps. The logan river was good last night. Right after that amazing down poor we had. I was between second and third dam.
[signature]
when the weather cools down we can have our lake back along with better fishing
[signature]
I agree with mtnman. After labor day its like they close a big gate and most of the people go away. This is when I start fishing it again.[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url]
[signature]
When is the best time to jig for Macks at Bear Lake in the fall? It seems to me like it is sometime in October, but I have never fished Bear Lake in the Fall. I would like to try and get a boat lined up so I can try it out this year, but my boat connections are in Idaho Falls so I need a little lead time. Any information would be appreciated.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Ya, fall is good and as it gets colder it seems to get better BUT that doesn't mean you can't catch fish now and in early fall also. Good luck and let us know when you're heading up.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Flashyfish here, I was up to the Bear 2 weeks ago. Fish in the Cisco beach area, caught 2 nice macks, and a bunch of cuts, including a 27 incher. I was fishing between 50 and 85 feet deep and running a plastic fish like a rapala. I fished a couple of hours for 3 mornings. Not fast but interesting. That lake puzzles me. I'd like to have the time to figure it out. It's so pretty.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]A 27" cutthroat? WOW! That's an 8+ pound fish! That is a very repectable cutthroat, flashyfish![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]