Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report: Rockport Reservoir [08/21/04]
Fishing success was slow to fair. Started fishing the dam approximately at 10 am and my partner and I hooked onto a few perch right away. After 5 perch were caught between the two of us, bites stopped. I took this time to bring out my pontoon so I could get a bit deeper and out there more. Just then the rain gods kicked in and we got dumped on for about 40 minutes. I went out approximately 300 feet from the dam and started using some spinners to try and trigger some bites. Nothing.

We packed up the pontoon (approximately 2 PM) and moved down to the mid-south end and fished some areas that had cover as well as some rocky areas with depth change. Right away my partner hooked into a dink smallmouth. Had several bites between 5-8 PM but did not land anything til around 9 PM when I caught a 16 inch Rainbow sinking a worm. Then we called it quits.

Overall the time spent fishing was slow. We tried everything from worms, to grubs, to Rapalas, to spinners with very little success. Success was brought from a make-shift carolina rig, 2 foot leader and a 2 inch piece of worm on the end.

Photo below of a rainbow above Rockport just after the rain.

[Image: IMGP0586.sized.jpg]
[signature]
Good report altho I'm sorry to hear the action wasnt a bit faster. How deep were you fishing and what was the water temp?
[signature]
I fished everywhere from 25 feet to 50 feet deep. Unsure on the water temperature but it was a bit more on the mild side due to the cloud cover and rain. I figured I would have a bit more success due to the mild temp weather we have had.

There was a guy scuba diving and he said he saw alot of big fish along the bottom in a trance type state just hovering the bottom. He also saw us casting and followed where our lures and bait were going and said they just weren't budging. Quite fishy aye?
[signature]
Well being an old scuba diver I can assure you it would probably surprise you just how close a guy can get to fish while diving. I used to spear fish a lot using a simple sling and had to be within 5 ta 6 feet to nail the little suckers. Whats more, I used to enjoy giving my kids fits while they were fishing and I diving by jerking on their lines.. Altho I will admit its cost me a couple holes in my diving cloves once..
[signature]