Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I repelling?
I purchased the book "Downrigger Fishing Techniques" by Dick Pool (I highly recommend the book) and in there it explains how to test the electrical charge around ones boat. I found out that I am putting out 1.1 volts into the water. According to Dick Pool, if one is significantly outside of the range of .7 volts and .8 volts they are likely repelling fish, rather than attracting them. I would assume that 1.1 volts is a concern, but I'm not positive. Has anyone had any experience with this situation, and do you concur with the author's findings?
[signature]
Kent,

How were you able to find that you are putting out some voltage from your boat? I'd like to do the same.

kastmaster
[signature]
Hey Kent,

I'd be 'somewhat' interested in hearing more details about this and how that relates to positive ion control, a feature offered by some downriggers like my Cannons or the add-on black box.

I say 'somewhat' because I think that there are infinite things we can do to tweak a presentation--some anglers have a dozen jigging rods for different jigging presentations while others have one rod they use for jigging, trolling, etc. But the guy with a dozen application-specific rods may not outcatch the guy with one rod.

I have positive ion control on my downriggers and it's something I never pay any attention to--ever. I'll switch baits, speed, location, colors, distance from cannonball, and repeat. I guess we have to choose which variables we pay attention to. And I would think voltage emitted is fairly low on the list. But maybe that's just true for me because I have fairly high-end downriggers??

Either way, it's an area I claim ignorance in. So I'd like to hear more details. Another good book I recommend is Mark Romanack's Trolling Top to Bottom.
To test, you need a sensitive voltage meter. Drop your downrigger into the water a few feet. Turn off everything electrical in your boat and attach the ground on your voltage meter to your battery and attach the positive to your downrigger cable. Try turning on the various electrical components on your boat and see if the meter changes. Start up your trolling motor and see what that does.
[signature]
I don't know if this will be any new news to you , but fish are extremely sensitive to electricity and currents. They don't have any synapses in their nerves like you or I do so basically they just run on voltage potentials created in their bodies and those are all affected by any outside electrical current.
jed
[signature]
very interesting topic,i have heard lots about the electrical charge that wire downrigger cable can generate.but i never knew exactly what it was or how it worked, other then hearing that it can repel fish.i use braided downrigger line on my downrigger's,but i started useing it to get away from the cable"singing"at higher speed's.i dont worry about electrical charge's,it doesn't kink and create a weak spot like wire cable can.for me it spool's easier and i have found it to be just as tough as wire cable.
[signature]
I hate that "singing". Where do you purchase your braided downrigger line?
[signature]
kentofnsl.i purchased mine from cabela's ordered it out of thier salaom catalog.i belive it come's in two different pound test's.the 130lb or the 150lb at 200yrds to a spool.
the price is right.
[signature]
We use heavy spidrwire, 120 or 150 lb and would never go back to the cable. We use downriggers almost ever time we troll. Even 1 foot deep. It's nice to see the line pop off and we think you get a better hookup with the downrigger clips.
So is it agreed that using braided line or heavy spider wire will eliminate the electrical discharge?

And I'm curious if the charge travels throughout the line and lure or if it is confined to the downrigger cable and weight?

Great feedback!
[signature]
[black]Kent, I know a lot of guys who claim that humming downrigger cables actually seems to attract fish.[/black]
[black][/black]
[black]Also, before switching to braided line, don't forget the positive ion concept that is said to attract fish. And if you have electrics, the short-stop feature requires cable.[/black]
[black][/black]
[black]Here's what the Cannon site, [/black][url "http://www.cannondownriggers.com"][black]www.cannondownriggers.com[/black][/url][black], says about positive ion control:[/black]

[black][size 1]Positive Ion Control (PIC) is based on the fact that the metal components of a boat in contact with water, such as the motor, and downrigger cable create a steady, but unpredictable electrical charge in water. The strength and type of charge varies greatly depending on the different types of metals contacting the water, and the mineral content or conductivity of the water. [/size][/black]

[black][size 1]Since fish are attracted by a slight positive charge and repelled by a strong positive or a negative charge, generating and controlling the correct charge can be critical to the success of your fishing.
Only Cannon electric downriggers send a slight constant positive charge down the cable to attract fish to your bait. [/size][/black]

[black][size 1]Cannon's Adjustable Positive Ion Control not only creates a constant positive electrical charge along the cable of a Mag 20 and Digi-Troll IV downrigger, it lets you adjust the strength of the charge to attract the species of fish you're after.[/size][/black]

[black][size 1]Available only in Cannon downriggers, Adjustable PIC puts the fish-attracting power positive ion control, in your control. [/size][/black]
[size 1][/size]
[Image: ion-01.jpg] [Image: ion-02.jpg] [Image: ion-03.jpg]
Thanks Gumbo,

Quoting from the book I referenced above:

"Some fishermen are using the new braided lines like Spectra or Fireline on their downriggers. These have an advantage because they are extremely thin and minimize the cable drag in the water. They have a diSadvantage because they do not attract fish like a wire cable does." Regarding humming the author states: "There has never been any evidence that the vibration spooks fish. Aggressive fish like tuna are actually attracted by the noise." Bottom line is that I am sending a 1.1 volt positive charge into the water. Is 1.1 volts too much?
[signature]