Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Fishing Report 9/1/04
Bear Lake Fishing Report
[size 3]Updated Wednesday, September 1, 2004 [/size]
[size 3] [/size]
[size 3]The surface water temperature is 67 F. The fishing for cutthroat trout and lake trout has been slow to fair, however, with the cooler weather the fishing should begin to pick up again. During the month of September the lake trout will begin to pre-stage prior to their spawning run and the fish are typically very aggressive. This translates to much better catch rates for anglers. Good spots to try will be off of Cisco Beach, North Eden, South Eden, and off the rockpile. The rockpile area is still very busy with jet skiers and other watercraft during the weekends and the best fishing will likely occur during the middle of the week at this location. Don't aggravate yourself and come up on the weekend to fish only to find the area in front of Ideal Beach/Blue Water Beach teaming with recreationists, who unforturnately do not have a lot of consideration for fishermen! [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Fishermen should try to locate both cutthroat trout and lake trout with their sonar units and either troll slowly with large flatfish (U-20 and larger) or rapalas (size 11 and 13) through these areas. Fishermen who like to jig instead of troll should target fish along the bottom in areas from 50-80 feet deep preferably over bottom with rocks. Use 4-5" tubes tipped with cisco.[/size]
[size 3] [/size]
[size 3]In the early mornings, trolling near the surface off the mouths of North and South Eden canyons can also be productive for cutthroat trout, which feed mainly on large grass hoppers that are blown out onto the lake surface from the agriculture fields adjacent to these areas. Try using spoons or rapalas trolled just under the surface of the water. Depth of the water should not be a factor in where to fish in these areas. [/size]
[size 3] [/size]
[size 3]The only boat ramp that has not been dewatered is the Bear Lake State Park marina. The depth of the marina is approximately 5-6' at this time. The pumping of water from the lake has stopped for this irrigation season and the only decline in lake elevation from this point on should be from evaporation. The State Park marina offers a new vistor's center, a fish cleaning station, and additional bathrooms/showers. Anglers can also launch small boats from the sandy beach around many parts of the Bear Lake shoreline but should do so at their own risk, since there are many areas with deep, soft sand on the lakeshore.[/size]
[signature]
Thanks for the update, I can't wait to get up there and check out the new improvments at the State Park marina and catch some of those aggressive Macks. WH2
[signature]
As always, thanks for the report Scott. How soon do you predict the fishing will start to pick up?
[signature]
Kent,
I would almost bet the fishing will start to pick up any time. To back up my word I'm planning on fishing this weekend so I'll try to report in. Its supposed to be cold so the jet skiiers will likely stay away....now if the wind just doesn't blow we'll be set! I've done really good in early-mid Sept. for pre-staging macs trolling with a handline setup I brought out here from Michigan. I troll a 1 3/4 pound sinker right on the bottom and then run a trolling shank up from that. I attach two lead to it so I can run two lures. The first lead is on a snubber about 6" above the sinker and only about 3 feet back to the lure (a rapala). The other lead will be about 6 feet above the sinker and about 30-40 feet back with a flatfish on it. I drag this right on the bottom and I can feel the substrate. I try to make circles around the rockpile to avoid snags. My hand line is 36lb lead core and my leaders are 25lb mono. Anyways, some of the best fishing occurrs before most of the fishermen start showing up. With that said you can almost guess the marina will be packed from around Oct 15 and on. I like the Sept. period personally. The weather is nicer and the fishing can be awesome.
[signature]
Thanks Scott -- sounds like fun.
[signature]
As a young man I knew a couple old boys that used that same set at Fish Lake with the exception they'd dropped copper wire instead of leadcore. And as I recall they did fairly well on that rig..
[signature]
So Scott, did you make it out?
[signature]
When do the Bear Lake macs start their spawn run? Where's the best place to fish then?
[signature]