Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tube jigs - How do you fish them?
Been lurking here awhile, thought I would post and get some of you guys' experience on this subject. I fish them alot like a senko dead rigged, just toss let it settle or to the target area I am looking at and then jerk it a touch - more of a twitch than anything. I usually use a 1/16th or 1/8th ounce jig head buried in the tube - they have some serious action like that.

How do you guys work them?
Welcome Chris -- glad you finally started posting. Others will give you more information, but I mainly fish them on the bottom for macks. As far as the action that I give them depends on how the fish are responding that day. MGB, BearLakeMack, TubeDude and I'm sure many others are masters at tube fishing.
[signature]
Wow, good question. And I'm in no way and expert and dont use em to often. But after thinking about your question it came to me that 75% of the time I use them vertically from a boat, float tube, but most of the time while standing on ice. While fishing them vertically at times I like to imitate a crawdad jumping off the bottom by using 2 or 3 short quick jerks until the tube is 18" - 3' off the bottom and then drop or flutter it back down often in a stop and go fashion. This seems to work well for everything I fish for vertically.
Casting them: I tend to bump them over structure or along the bottom in a stop and go, or simply swim them at different depths in a stop and go retrieve witch again allows the tube to lift and fall..
[signature]
Hi ..I seen this post so here I am..I fish tubes many differnt ways.I try too keep the tail moving as mush as I can .With out movein it too far too fast ..also I like too hook it" KEVIN VANDAM STYLE"He likes too hook the tube on the side ..not with the hook in side the tube ..and twichin it up and down slowly.also when you put the hook in side the tube you can take 2 or 3 of the tails and just hook them on the hook ..kinda makes it weed less.. remember keep the little tails moveing ..that seams too trigger the fish..... hope this helps[blush]
[signature]
I fish tube jigs in many ways. I vertical jig with them, I troll them, and I cast and retrieve them. I used them yesterday at Strawberry with good success. Yesterday, because of the wind and no anchor, I threw the tube into the water and let it sink almost to the bottom. Then I retrieved the jig by reeling it back to the boat, pulling it up and letting it fall as I did so. I use a sensitive rod (Loomis 721 GL3)with 6lb fireline and a fluorocarbon leader. I can feel the fish mouth the jig with this setup, and as soon as I feel any pressure, I set the hook. I have my greatest success with tubes in the early Spring and Fall at Strawberry. It is just going to get better and better for tubes at Strawberry as the weather cools!

Lloyd
[signature]
Oooh! My favorite subject!
Theres only two things I know about tube jigs.
1) Never fear the snag. You gotta toss it.
2) The technique used most effectivley is the "Brians draw the crowd" technique.
Cause any time you are using a lure to draw a crowd, you are gonna get bit.
[signature]