Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua Reservoir
Just got back from fishing mantua friday saturday and sunday and it was awsome. Caught plenty of bass and got some big large mouth. Spinner baits and crank baits in the deeper clear water were the trick. Some top water action but I think the fish are getting smart to that. Some of the fish looked pretty beat up from being caught so much. Watch for rocks out 200 yards from the ramp. One boat hit rocks and bent the prop!!!!
[signature]
[font "Tahoma"][size 4]Thanks for the report scooter! [crazy] Did you happen to get any smallmouth, or all just largemouth? Did you see anyone catch any of them big trout? How is the weed siuation? usually the summer sun brings the weeds all the way to the surface and it is thicker than all get out. With all the new boat action and fishermen frenquenting the place, maybee it keeps the weeds down.[/size][/font]
Ah, I once thought the same. After fishing mantua for years, and only catching largemouth bass, this spring I was up there fishing and skeeter pulled up with the hobo fisherman and skeeter had just caught a smallmouth bass. A good size one too. The only thing we could figure was that someone must have put some in there from willard. Either that or someone got a smallie or two mixed in with the largemouth when it was initially planted. But yes, there should only be largemouth in there. I just thought I would ask to kind of get a guage on the idea that they may be populating.

As for your posting problem, I will check into it.
[signature]
No smallies, but we did have acouple nice 20''+ slimers take our crank baits. The weeds are still thick and hard to fish in, thats why we started to fish the less weedy deeper water. I never have caught a smallie in mantua, but would sure love to. Were do the samllies hang out? Over by the rock on the west bank?
[signature]
Actually the one skeeter caught was on the north side of the pond. The rock flat that is on the east side always looked like good smallie teritory to me but all I ever caught there was largemouth and trout.
[signature]