Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How are the edges?
As a scientist, I am intrigued by the interactions of man and the earth.  This is highlighted this time of year by poor edge conditions at many reservoirs.  As a younger man, I assumed the sketchy edge conditions were caused by melting of the ice.  I guess indirectly melting has a definite effect, but only in terms of the snow melt that produces runoff that is captured by man to refill reservoirs.  As the water rises, the ice cap recedes from the edges.  The edges freeze again, but the continuing water level rise may not let edges get super competent.  My thoughts turned to two recent visits to popular Utah reservoirs affected by drought - Willard Bay and Rockport.

At Willard Bay, the bottom is fairly flat until you get to the dikes, then it rises abruptly up the sides.  Currently, water levels are such that along the south side, the edge of the water is 50-100 feet from the dikes.  There is a similar ring of "new ice" around the edge, maybe 50 feet in width.  This is caused by water levels rising, with the ice cap pulling further from shore and new ice forming.  For some reason, I couldn't find elevation data for Willard after the first of the year.  Based on observations in both marinas, I don't think it has come up much, but even a few inches may make a large gap between shore and ice cap.

At Rockport, there is more relief/structure along the dam side, while other spots are fairly flat.  My recent trip showed maybe a 5 foot area along the edges near the dam that had refrozen.  It was also apparent that the ice cap may have moved (with the wind) causing some jumbling of ice around the edges.  Rockport is up just over 8 feet since Christmas.  I've attached a chart for Rockport showing water level rise since Christmas day.

A mixed bag of conditions for fisherman - ice fishing will continue to have edgy conditions, but that should result in better water levels (and ramp conditions) in the summer.  Hopefully it can be a win-win no matter what type of fishing you enjoy.

[Image: Rockport-WL.jpg]

jack of all tackle, master of none
This is right about the lakes filling with water. I see jordanelle different this year the ice goes right up to the concert, the ice has not pulled away. Please can you check.the water levels and tell me if the water is coming up there?
It is going down at this point.

[Image: Screenshot-20220203-201851.png]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
(02-04-2022, 02:19 AM)doitall5000 Wrote: This is right about the lakes filling with water.  I see jordanelle different this year the ice goes right up to the concert,  the ice has not pulled away. Please can you check.the water levels and tell me if the water is coming up there?

Yes, as a_bow_nut stated, it is going down, but really only down 2 feet since mid November.  I believe they try to fill downstream reservoirs first (i.e. Deer Creek), then work back up stream.  But that is just a guess.

[Image: Jordanelle-WL.jpg]

jack of all tackle, master of none