Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
POLL: Utah's best fishing hole and fish
I was going to post a poll, but I guess we can't create one. Kind of a two part question, but trying to get some conversation going on the board.

1. With all things [size 1]considered[/size] i.e. Location, Success, [size 1]Scenery[/size], Skiers, etc.. What do you think is the best place to get a line wet??

2. What is your personal favorite species of fish to go after and what is your preferred method to catch them??
[signature]
[size 4]Of course the big hitter on this page will be the wiper. But, the walleye also holds a special place in my heart. And the place to do it is of course starvation. That body of water has bar none the greatest structural elements I have ever seen. I just love the place. Now, cranks are my favorite lures to use, who cares how you use them as long as they are catching fish? Starvation will also get you a smallmouth or two. Did anyone see the netting results this year? The average walleye size was 3 lbs. With the big ones topping the scales at 14 lbs. [/size]
[Smile] Hey Teroy,

So far it's Jordanelle for me. There are special reason based on my style. It's reasonably close, I have found a way to access without paying those d---d fees, I am able to fish prime areas by hiking along the shore wading or float tubing, since I'm retired I'm able to go during week days getting away from jet skis, etc., and they have great small mouth!

I'm always on the outlook for new areas. I plan to try Willard later hoping that I can get into the wipers from the shore on a week day.

[crazy]Leaky
[crazy] My vote goes to Mantua reservoir. You don't get much in the way of skiers and jet skies and the place is beautiful and its full of fish. You do have to wade through a few small bass to get a nice one but it's well worth the effort.
[signature]
[reply]
[crazy] My vote goes to Mantua reservoir. You don't get much in the way of skiers and jet skies and the place is beautiful and its full of fish. You do have to wade through a few small bass to get a nice one but it's well worth the effort. [/reply]
I have never fished Mantua personally. I guess I've always kind of [size 1]shied [/size]away from there being the novice bass fisherman that I am. Someday when I can get a little more consistency under my belt, I will make a trip up there.
[signature]
[reply]
[Smile] Hey Teroy,

So far it's Jordanelle for me. There are special reason based on my style. It's reasonably close, I have found a way to access without paying those d---d fees, I am able to fish prime areas by hiking along the shore wading or float tubing, since I'm retired I'm able to go during week days getting away from jet skis, etc., and they have great small mouth!

I'm always on the outlook for new areas. I plan to try Willard later hoping that I can get into the wipers from the shore on a week day.

[crazy]Leaky [/reply]
Jordanelle is a great place to go also. I have only been able to make it up there a few times on the weekends. It's get pretty busy on the weekends and is it just me or does the wind always seem to pick up in the afternoon??[crazy]
[signature]
[sly] You9 ought to hit it. You can use the same stuff you guys through at the wipers and also a great top water lake.
[signature]
[cool] Teroy,

Yes, it does seem that 9 out of 10 times it gets breezy, but late afternoon, most times, it dies down. I've been to Mantua about a half dozen times now and it seems like it gets breezy there about the same. Tough on float tubers. Is it just my luck or what? You need to go to Jordanelle on week days. Besides the water traffic, the water is much clearer.

Leaky [angelic]
[signature]
Hey Roadhog. Welcome to the BFT message boards. Please feel free to register your name and become a regular member!

I have never heard of Mill Hollow. Where is that located??? 5+ pound fish sounds like a blast no matter what the weather is[Wink]

Is the shore fishing staying pretty consistant at Deer Creek with the low water levels???
[signature]
Sounds like I need to make a trip to Deer Creek. How did you fish with the garden hackle did you use a bobber or on the bottom. What kind of sturucture did you find the fish in. I would apppreciate any info. By the way I would have to say that Mantua used to be me favorite place before it was poisned. But now I would have to say that Flamming Gorge is on the top of the list. That is because of the diversity of the fish you can catch. You can fish for Kokes, Macks, Smallmouth, Trout whatever sounds fun for that day. Plus the kokes are all giants. A bent rods a happy rod. SKEETER
[signature]
Mill hollow is just up the road from kamas. Its beautiful country, great camping, small lake - no boat ramp. But they keep it stocked up with small planters and it is as good as road hog said. That is if you want small fish. I hit it several times a few years back, mostly for the scenery. But its a nice place. Like he said, great spot to take the kids for a trip.
I always end up at Mantua the most, both winter and spring.

I am a total nut for big bluegills, and alternatively, perch. I wish it was walleye, but I've only caught a couple in my life.

Preferred method is sneak-wading for them up in thick, flooded cover with flies, plastics, or worms.
(02-02-2022, 03:19 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: I always end up at Mantua the most, both winter and spring.

I am a total nut for big bluegills, and alternatively, perch.  I wish it was walleye, but I've only caught a couple in my life.

Preferred method is sneak-wading for them up in thick, flooded cover with flies, plastics, or worms.

I think you might have the record for replying to an old post!
(09-03-2002, 12:07 AM)Teroy Wrote: I was going to post a poll, but I guess we can't create one. Kind of a two part question, but trying to get some conversation going on the board. 

1. With all things [size=undefined]considered[/size] i.e. Location, Success, [size=undefined]Scenery[/size], Skiers, etc.. What do you think is the best place to get a line wet??

2. What is your personal favorite species of fish to go after and what is your preferred method to catch them??
[signature]
Hands down Deer creek using jigs of all kinds for walleye, perch, crappie, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, and of course those slimy fish trout brown, rainbow, cutthroat. If Lake Powell was closer, it would probably be number one, but its too far away and I have never fished it. Get good with a jig and you can catch everything that swims. 
Gabe
Very simple for me for favorite in Utah, I fish and love most all that were mentioned and wouldn’t argue against any one of them.
***My favorite is the body of water I’m
Fishing at the time and the fish on the end of my line!!
Favorite species, same deal the one that’s fighting on the end of my line whether it be trolling for Kokes, Walleye, Wipers and more or the bass or other species hitting my jigs or flies when flyfishing and of course catfish grabbing my bait!!
Love them all and love the many varied opportunities Utah provides. Fishing here is great in spite of the second driest state in the country!!
We Utah anglers are lucky to have such great angling opportunities!!
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(02-02-2022, 10:20 PM)Mildog Wrote: Very simple for me for favorite in Utah, I fish and love most all that were mentioned and wouldn’t argue against any one of them.
***My favorite is the body of water I’m
Fishing at the time and the fish on the end of my line!!
Favorite species, same deal the one that’s fighting on the end of my line whether it be trolling for Kokes, Walleye, Wipers and more or the bass or other species hitting my jigs or flies when flyfishing and of course catfish grabbing my bait!!
Love them all and love the many varied opportunities Utah provides. Fishing here is great in spite of the second driest state in the country!!
We Utah anglers are lucky to have such great angling opportunities!!

Amen Wink
(09-03-2002, 02:40 AM)PREDATOR Wrote: [size=undefined]Of course the big hitter on this page will be the wiper. But, the walleye also holds a special place in my heart. And the place to do it is of course starvation. That body of water has bar none the greatest structural elements I have ever seen. I just love the place. Now, cranks are my favorite lures to use, who cares how you use them as long as they are catching fish? Starvation will also get you a smallmouth or two. Did anyone see the netting results this year? The average walleye size was 3 lbs. With the big ones topping the scales at 14 lbs. [/size]

Where did you see the netting results? I have looked for them but cannot find them. I fish starvation quite often and have yet to consistently catch 3lbers,  14-15 inchers seems to be more plentiful. Id like to see the netting results if you can provide them, thanks!
(02-03-2022, 02:46 AM)SilverSlimer Wrote:
(09-03-2002, 02:40 AM)PREDATOR Wrote: [size=undefined]Of course the big hitter on this page will be the wiper. But, the walleye also holds a special place in my heart. And the place to do it is of course starvation. That body of water has bar none the greatest structural elements I have ever seen. I just love the place. Now, cranks are my favorite lures to use, who cares how you use them as long as they are catching fish? Starvation will also get you a smallmouth or two. Did anyone see the netting results this year? The average walleye size was 3 lbs. With the big ones topping the scales at 14 lbs. [/size]

Where did you see the netting results? I have looked for them but cannot find them. I fish starvation quite often and have yet to consistently catch 3lbers,  14-15 inchers seems to be more plentiful. Id like to see the netting results if you can provide them, thanks!

LOL, guess you did not notice but this post is almost 20 years old, posted in 2002.
Lets keep it going!
Definitely Powell with crawler harnesses.
Can’t get enough of it, catches lots of everything.
Hopefully the low water this year forces the ‘Invasive Species’ to other deeper lakes where they might feel their props are safer.
(02-03-2022, 03:26 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 02:46 AM)SilverSlimer Wrote:

LOL, guess you did not notice but this post is almost 20 years old, posted in 2002.

Yeah I got bamboozled, I thought I was going crazy or this year would be awesome at starvation! Still one of my favorite places to go. Gonna try and kick up a kokanee out there this year