Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henrys Lake
With only three weeks left of the fishing season on Henrys Lake in Idaho open, the fishing has been excellent for big fish on that lake. Friday, October 8, three of us landed 16 fish with only one of them being under 22 inches. All were taken near the Cliffs on the south side of the lake.

Saturday, two of us took eight fish in two hours. Six were brook trout from around the Hatchery and two large cutts off the Cliff area again.

Most of the fish were taken on Lt. Olive Crystals, Brown CBs and Mity Mouse flies.

Those of you who have not been fishing Henrys Lake this season, has missed a great opportunity to take some huge fish.

Good Luck - If you have any questions, email those to me.

Bill
[signature]
sounds like things have changed alot since the begining of the season. What is making the big difference?
[signature]
Wish I could make it up there this year . My buddy got a 9 pound Cutt/bow this spring . I was wondering if you still had the fly shop up there . I bought your book back in "97" and it is great for anyone that has not fished there much with good detail on areas to fish . Good to see you on the site Bill . I was only a customer a couple times up there but I do remember your shop .
[signature]
Whats the average size trout in Henry's lake and also how big do the brook trout get? I've always wanted to fish it but have never had the chance. Have any of you fished the North Fork of the Teton river near Rexburg, I'm not sure if its the North or South Fork but I sure did catch some awsome cutts out of it one day. I live in CO and that was the only chance I've had to fish that area. I fish Spinney Mountain Reservoir in CO and the average trout (mostly rainbows and browns) is in between 17 and 22" with fish up to 29" being fairly common.

Here's a few from Spinney.
[Image: 0784912-R1-021-9.jpg]
[Image: 0784912-R1-013-5.jpg]
[Image: 71.jpg]
[Image: 8.jpg]
[signature]
[cool]Hey bsflies! Welcome to BFT's Utah Board. I have an old college buddy (from Ricks) and he guides up there in the summer time on weekends, and said he worked/guided for a guy that was a school teacher up there. Said he even guided for Tom Selleck once up there and that Tom was a nice guy, and very appreciative, etc. I'm wondering if that's you that he worked for. He was even talking of buying the business from this guy, but he was pretty concerned about the drought up there and what it was doing to the fishery there. I haven't talked to him in a about 6 months or so.

My friend's name is Eric. Last name starts with a B, and he's from the Burley/Rupert area. Are you the same guy that my buddy worked for? Just curious.
[signature]
HFT,

These fish have been here all year, but in the spring they are very scattered because there are probably less that half of the fish in the lake that was there in 1999. When the fish congregate in the summer around the springs and stream mouths, they can be caught. Most fishermen did not show up this summer as only three of us fished the lake consistantly during the summer months. All three of us had a great year - less fishermen meant more catchable fish for us.

Now the fish are congregating around the mouths of the streams, preparing for spawning, and following the brook trout while they are spawning. On Saturday I landed six brook trout near the Hatchery. When they congregate and you find that group of fish, they can be caught. Remember that there are lots of areas of the lake that hold very few fish - you have to find the groups to have a successful day.

Hope this explains what you were asking.

Bill
[signature]
Hellsangler69,

I no longer have my shop up there, but I did sell my outfitting business to Lynn Scott (208) 390-2177, and he has opened a small shop at Ponds Lodge. I have retained my fly sales and then I also guide for Lynn on Henrys Lake and Island Park Reservoir. Lynn carries a lot of things that I used to have in my shop. You can also get my flies at Fish Tech in Salt Lake City, Idaho Irrestables in Ashton, ID, and at the Henrys Lake Station in Island Park.

Thanks for the email.

Best of Luck

Bill
[signature]
Oats,

Traditionally the Henrys Lake cutts run 18 inches, the hybrids about 20 inches and the brooks about 16 inches. It is not uncommon to catch cutts up to 24 inches, hybrids to 28 to 30 inches and brook trout up to 22 inches. The state record brook came from Henrys and was 7-1. This season my largest cutt has been 27 inches, largest brook trout 23 1/2 inches and largest hybrid was 34 inches with a 21 inch girth.

This said, we have lost several age classes of fish on Henrys for some reason - probably drough related. We have a lot of yearlings that are 8 to 12 inches and then the large fish that are 4 or 5 years old. We have very few two, three and four year olds. But with the number of yearlings, they will be 16 to 18 inches next season and it looks like we have a good number of fingerlings this fall.

Brook trout are few in numbers because they were not planted for five years. Last year was the first season that the stocking happened again. We are seeing 10 inch brook trout and a few brooks in the 20 to 22 inch range. I got two of those last Saturday.
I think that the future is also good for them.

Hope this answers you questions.

Best of Luck,

Bill
[signature]
Welcome to BFT Bill! As I started reading more of your threads I started putting two and two together. I've seen your book! I grew up in the Twin Falls (Buhl) area and my father would frequently give your shop a call before heading up to Henry's.

For those of you not from Idaho, Bill is legendary among Henry's Lake anglers. Any questions about fishing that area, he da man!

Welcome again,
[signature]
Bill I was wondering what would be a gould place to tube next weekend/ I am sure my uncle will call and ask you any ways but I thought I would save him the call. What flies and what type what type of sinking line ll or lll
[signature]
Everet,

If you get there early in the morning and want a chance at a few brook trout, then I would try that area off the Hatchery down to Pitssburg Creek (the old Henrys Lake Lodge). If you are a little later, I would try the Cliffs up to Hope Creek. Be sure to give anchored or other tubers the courtesy of a two cast distance. Last week I had a client that hooked eight fish in eight casts when a float tuber came right thru' the area and we did not get another fish until we moved our boat. Remember that most of the fish will move back and forth and with a little patience everyone will have a chance at the fish.

Good Luck,

bill
[signature]
Thanks a bunch for helping me and posting the pictures. Those are just two of about 60 fish that size that Henrys Lake produced for me this season. A great fishing season for me!!!!!

Bill
[signature]
Bill Thank you very much for the info you are by far the best person to seek advice about Henrys Thanks again
[signature]
Great fish bsflies. I've been reading alot on Henry's Lake on this board and the Idaho board also. It definately looks like a place to put on my "to fish' list. I've tried to find this lake on Mapquest.com but no sucess. There is a lake by a town called Henry but it is labeled with a different name.
Just where in Idaho is Henry's Lake located?
[signature]
bsflies: please disregard the previous posting. I found it on a map. However, I'd like a little more info on this lake. Is there a lodge? what kind of accomidations do they provide? Do you know if there is a web site on this info and if so, what is the address.

Again. Very, very nice fish. And from the pictures, I can see that the area is very beautiful.

Thanks again
Snag'd
[signature]
Snagd,

There are two lodges on the lake, Staley Springs Lodge (208) 558-7471 and the address is 5398 Henrys Lake Rd, Island Park, ID 83429. This is where I keep my boat and fish out of. The other lodge is Wild Rose Ranch in Island Park, Id. There is also a Henrys Lake State Park that has full hookup as well as a County Campground with no hook-ups but a lovely rustic park where many of the serious fishermen stay.

Usually the best fishing is in late June and early July, but my favorite time is in late July and early August when the water warms up and forces the fish into the spring areas and mouths of the streams. This is also the time that I catch my majority of large brook trout. Most people expect to catch them in the fall, but I prefer the summer when they are gaining weight to prepare for the spawning run.

I hope this will help you - but remember, each season is different with weather and drought conditions playing a large role in the fishing success.

Bill
[signature]
Henrys Lake was pretty good on Saturday - after the wind died down about 10 a.m. Early in the morning we battled the wind and caught a small cutt and lost a big fish in the Hope Creek area. After we got blown off at 8:30 and my clients left, I went out duck hunting on the lake. The wind calmed down about 10 a.m. so I went back to fishing. I took three brook trout at Duck Creek, three cutts and a large hybrid at Hope Creek and then tried to get over to Targhee Creek, but the wind was too strong on the east side of the lake. I decided to head in and call it a day. As I was going past the Glory Hole at Staley Springs I saw two large fish rise, so my plans changed. I got my fly rod out again and on the first cast with an Olive Rug Yarn fly, nailed a 28 inch hybrid. I ended up landing seven fish at the Glory Hole with two hybrids over 25 inches, a brook trout that was 22 inches and four cutts over 18 inches. It was a great way to end the day.

Two more Saturdays to go before the season on Henrys Lake closes.

Good Luck.
[signature]
Bill, Great to have you on the boards. I have a couple of question about Henry's if you don't mind?

I was under the impression that there were lake trout in Henrys, is that true?

Beings I don't have a boat, other than a canoe, is there good access around the lake for shore fishermen or is it all private property?

Due to the size of the lake and the wind situation is there places that are protected enough to use a canoe?

Thanks for your reports.
[signature]
KJFN,

There are NO lake trout in Henrys Lake. The most populus are cutts, with a few Brooks and some hybrids in the lake. Traditionally hybrids (cutt-bows) make up only about 1/10 of the fish, but the last few years something has been happening to the cutts and the catch rate is about 50-50.

There are some good access points like the County Boat Dock and the Cliffs. The only problem with a canoe is the wind and there are no protected areas from the wind. There are very few days that the wind does not start blowing between 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. If I was in a canoe, I would be off the lake by noon and I would stay close to shore.

Bill
[signature]
Thanks Bill, I really enjoy fishing with a fly and a bubble so, maybe next season I will check it out. I know about the wind on big lakes and know it is not the place to be when it begains to blow.
[signature]