Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Icefishing in Idaho?
Is there any fishable ice in southeastern Idaho Yet? Just getting ready. I do not think that it would be wise to make the 800 mile round trip down to Huntington Res. in Utah. Or would it?[crazy]
Last Thanksgiving I caught 28 tiger trout on Huntington.

Windriver
[signature]
I will wait at least a couple weeks before I get on the ice but I like to have at least 6" before I really feel safe. If you are a little more daring than me you might find enough ice on Mackay Reservoir, Island Park Reservoir or some of the other lakes and reservoirs in colder areas. It wouldn't be fun to spend an hour driving only to find that the rising reservoir has made the ice unsafe around the edges (which is likely the case with I.P. Reservoir and PaliSades).
[signature]
windriver or anyone else,

Did you go out and look for some ice this last week and what did you find?

Neither the Idaho State Journal or Post register mentioned anything about ice conditions in their outdoor sections last week. With the colder weather we have been having lately I'm going to try to get on the ice hopefully sometime in the next week or so. If I get out I will post a report about ice conditions.
[signature]
The Rexburg Nature pond is getting really close. I walked out on it the other night but the ice was not ready for my 240 lbs. It will be ready by Saturday. Roberts Gravel pond was half frozen a week ago. I expect it to be ready by Saturday as well. BSflies talked to the Fish and Game about Island Park. They said that it would not be safe for another two weeks or so. BSflies said that he would check it out this weekend.

Goodluck
Windriver
[signature]
Let me know what you all find out on the ice situation. I'm ready to hit the ice. I'm hoping to check it out some this weekend. Maybe I can help provide some info by Monday.
When you are talking about Tiger trout are you talking Tiger Muskie?
[signature]
A tiger trout is a brown trout mixed with something else. I think it is a brookie brown mix. Anyway it is really beautiful and extremely agressive. Look on the Utah board under the Huntington posts over the last week and you will see some pictures.

Good Luck
Windriver
[signature]
For what it is worth, the Idaho State Journal (Pocatello newspaper) said that there is ice around the edges of some of the smaller reservoirs (Devil, Daniels, McTucker, etc) but there wasn't enough to walk on yet. I'm guessing that the reports on these reservoirs are at least a couple days old. With the cold temps that we have had over the last week I think if someone is daring and persistent they will be able to find a place to fish through the ice tomorrow. This is only my opinion but I feel enough confidence in it that I will probably drive to Devil Creek and/or some of the other reservoirs around Malad tomorrow. Hope everyone is safe this weekend.
[signature]
Guest,

Thanks for sharing that info with the rest of us. Welcome to BFT and I hope you stick around and register. It doesn't cost anything to register and the more people we have posting on this Idaho board the better it becomes. All you need to do is enter a valid email address, choose a user name and password. I might fish Devil Creek tomorrow. I'll be driving a 98' dark red single cab Toyota Tacoma and probably won't park to far from where I'm fishing. If you see me feel free to say hi.
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size]
[signature]
i have signed up before just didnt login. See the reply to BrianID about devils creek for my report.

Wishin I was fishin
[signature]
I ice fished Island Park Reservoir on Saturday and caught five fish with the largest a 21 inch rainbow. All were rainbows. Several people walked out and visited me about kokanee, but I did not get into any.

The ice near the dam is 3 to 4 inches thick with more freezing nightly. Saturday night it dropped to -2 degrees which will make the ice deeper quick. Be very careful as there were still a patch of open water just above the dam. The reservoir froze over on Thanksgiving weekend.

Good luck,

Bill
[signature]