Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Report Fishing Report and Launching Conditions
Bear Lake Fishing Report
[size 3]Updated Wednesday, December 1, 2004[/size]
[size 3] [/size]
[size 3]The surface water temperature is 40 F and the lake is completely open water, with the exception of the Utah State Park marina which is partially frozen (see update below). There is currently approximately 10" of snow on the ground around the lake.[/size]
[size 3] [/size]
[size 3]The Bonneville whitefish are now spawning and the fishing is red hot. A limit of 10 fish can be caught in as little as 2 hours' time. With the low water conditions the fishing from shore has been as good as fishing from boats since there is only a few feet of rocks that are in the water along Cisco Beach before the bottom drops off into very deep water. The best luck has come along the Bear Lake State Park marina and off Cisco Beach. Whitefish spawn close to shore along rocky areas in water 3-20 feet deep. Pound-for-pound Bonneville whitefish fight better than trout and they taste excellent when taken from the cold waters of Bear Lake. The Bonneville whitefish also lack the strong intramuscular bones that are present in the mountain whitefish typically found in rivers, which make them easier to fillet and eat. A good choice of lures to use for whitefish are small jigs (1/16-1/8 oz.) fished close to the bottom. Small vertical jigging spoons, such as kastmasters and Swedish pimples have also been very effective. Finally, small spoons and spinners (#1 or #0 in size) have also been working well. Make sure to fish the lures as close to the bottom as possible. Tipping lures with a small piece of worm has produced good results. The fast fishing should continue to through the first couple of weeks of December and peak around Dec 10th or so. [/size]
[size 3] [/size]
[size 3]Fishing for cutthroat and lake trout has been fair. Most anglers are either trolling or jigging in 60-80 feet of water. When trolling, anglers have been using rapalas and spoons. When jigging, anglers have been using tube jigs tipped with cisco meat. Good spots to try at this time of year include the "rockpile", Cisco Beach and 1st and 2nd Points. Keep varying your speed or move to different locations until you find some active fish. A good sonar unit can make a big difference in helping you to locate fish.[/size]
[size 3] [/size][#ff4040]The Bear Lake State Park marina froze earlier this week, even with the deicers running. As of today (Dec 1st) boats cannot be launched here. [/#ff4040]The only place to launch is from the shore around the edge of the lake. There is 10" of snow around the lake and anglers should shore launch at their own risk, since there are many areas with deep drifted snow and other hazards along the lakeshore. [#ff4040]The concrete boat ramp at Cisco Beach was extended two weeks ago, but is currently not useable since there is a sizeable drop off at the edge of the new concrete. This issue is being resolved as quickly as possible, but it still may not be useable by this coming weekend.[/#ff4040]
[signature]
Thanks for the report Scott. Are you guessing that the marina is frozen for the winter?
[signature]
[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"][black]Thanks much BLFG ..... Do appreciate that report.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]Refering to the state marina, you say [#0000ff]"As of today (Dec 1st) boats cannot be launched here."[/#0000ff] That REALLY bumbs me out. Last year Fish1on and I were trying to get out there when the marina was unusable and this is how we did it:[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][inline High_Water.jpg][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]I really hated launching that way.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000]QUESTION: How realistic would it be to launch in the marina anyway and break ice to make way for the boat? Do you think the ice would be too thick for that stratigy?[/#ff0000][/font][/size]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Coot,[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Try down below the trailer park. A lot of guys launch over there and don't get their trucks in like your picture.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Hey Coot,

BLM is right. Right below my trailer is an area that gets deep real fast and it is easy access. The Ideal Beach RV park and marina where we met for ice fishing is another spot but it is private property and they post signs stating they will fine you. If you continue further South there is a public access that is easily traveled but I recommend 4X4 due to some high sand burms. This is where I launch!!

The reason we had to launch last year where we did was because it was one of two places that were actually plowed to the water. There was alot of snow on the beach and we were limited if we wanted to fish from a boat. The Fog, the insane launch, my first Mack!!! What a day to cherish!!! I remember having to cut the ice skim forming on the water with our lines so we could actively jig. What a surprize we had when the fog lifted and we found out that we were not the only crazy guys in a boat!!! Memories......
[signature]
Hey BLM, how are things in Japan? I'm glad you are still looking out for the BFTers while you are away.
[signature]
[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"][black]Thanks much BLFG, BLM, and F1on,[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]I'm pretty determined to fish for macks and whites tomorow (Friday) and am hoping I can locate one of these places you all have suggested.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]Also, welcome back on-line BLM.[/black][/font][/size]
[signature]
I've never fished for the whites. Is time of day important like it is for the macks if you want to do it from the shore? How are they REALLY for table fare?
[signature]
Pat, could I launch my boat there?
[signature]
Is the boat ramp on Cisco beach still accessible?
[signature]
I launch all the time from the shore. I put rollers on the trailer to make it a little easier to launch. Deep snow to the shore is all that will stop me from lauching on the beach.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Thanks for the welcome back, guys. Appreciated it. Japan rocks but it takes a little bit to get acustom to. I was is a very rural out of the way area that does not use english. What a trip not being able to read signs or talk to people. After you figure a few things out, it's a blast. The Japanese people are very friendly and helpful, even if you or they do not know how to speak to each other. Very polite too. I've decided bowing might be a good practice for all societies.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I'd go back anytime but be forewarn; Japan is not cheap and with the falling of the US dollar abroad it's getting worse. I'm glad to be back but will always be warmed by my experience in Japan. Oh ya, Jet "rag" sucks...[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Last year the white fishing from shore was best for me from 9 a.m. till noon. Try cisco beach or the State Park Marina breakwater. It may be a little crowded on shore so a boat would be best.

I would not try to launch anything but an aluminum under 18' from shore. Deep water is limited and you may have to push it off the trailer a little rather than trying to float it off.

Welcome home BLM, I too have been to Japan and found the people to be very nice!
[signature]
Pat, not the answer I wanted to hear. Am I going to have two years in a row that I am unable to get my boat out on Bear Lake during the prime time? Pat, will you please use some of your extra time while you are up at BL to clear the marina of ice?
[signature]
Kent,

I talked to Coot yesterday and he said he would call me today with launching conditions. I am headed up there this evening and may be fishing from shore as well on Saturday.

The good thing for me is that I did manage to land my goal Mack over 10Lbs, so I will be targetting whites anyways.

I think it is time for me to give up on the boat fishing this year and get myself focused on the hard water.
[signature]
[size 1]"The good thing for me is that I did manage to land my goal Mack over 10Lbs" Hey I also had one of those same goals. My goals were:[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]Catch a mack over 10 pounds -- failed so far[/size]
[size 1]Catch a catfish over 10 pounds -- failed -- maybe next year[/size]
[size 1]Catch a northern pike -- failed -- hope to try again in January and/or February[/size]
[size 1]Catch a tiger trout -- met this goal[/size]
[size 1]Catch a large sturgeon -- met this goal big time, can't wait to go back and set a new personal best.[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[signature]