Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Launching update for Bear Lake. Friday 12/3/2004
For those of you still considering fishing Bear Lake this weekend and wanting to launch your boat:

[#ff0000]First the bad news:[Sad][/#ff0000]
The marina is still partially frozen and there were no boats that launched there this morning. The deicers are running, but can't keep up. One boat launched on Wednesday afternoon and chopped a trail through the ice to get out of the marina. It was quite a bit of work to do this and the "path" has since refrozen.

There is still about 10" of snow around the edges of the lake and shore launching can be tough. Launch at your own risk since the snow can high-center a vehicle or you can get bogged down in the sand.

[#ff0000]Now the good news:[Smile][/#ff0000]
The boat ramp at Cisco Beach is now useable for small to mid-sized boats. The State Park added some gravel to the edge of the concrete ramp and there is no longer a big drop off over which you could hang up you axle on your trailer. The courtesy dock has been repositioned next to the ramp instead of the middle of the ramp so larger boats can also launch off the ramp. Be advised the ramp is snow/ice covered, but 4-wheel drive vehicles should not have a lot of problems with smaller boats. Be courteous and pull/park your truck and trailer well off to the side of the ramp lane or better yet along the access road at the top of the ramp so other boaters can also launch there. With the marina being marginal for launching I suspect the Cisco Beach ramp will be crowded.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Encouraging New for those of use who don't want to put our boats away just yet.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Hey, Scott! How thick is the ice in the marina right now? Just wondering.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Heres some points to ponder for those thinking of launching off Cisco. The east side has a tendency to be rougher than the west side. Also the cisco launch has no shelter and is open to all lake conditions and as a result when the waves and wind kick up putting a boat on a trailer can be tricky if not down right dangerous. If the waves get any size to them plan on getting wet (and very cold) Bring extra clothes and waders which may help. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I have watched people on 1st Point and Rainbow Point launch ramps, during the summer in windy, rough condition and it isn't pretty unless you and your trailering friends know the drill. Even then, expect the unexpected. Leaving the trailer a little high, timing the swell and motoring up on the trailer can be tricky but and effective way to get on the trailer quickly and smoothly.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Side bunks on trailers are pretty much a requirement to keep the boat on the trailer when big swells are tossing it around on the trailer. If the boat is on the trailer but not just right, pull it out anyway. My experience is that the longer you are in the water trying to get the boat straight, the more potential for bigger problems. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Remember, waves can push a boat stronger than you can hold it. I've seen boats that have been hooked to the winch, lifted off the trailer and turn side ways knocking people over in the process, creating a real mess quickly.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]My advice to those with smaller boats is this. Unless the conditions are calm and no wind, stay on the east side. If you decide to make the run across and conditions change for the worse, beach your boat on the westside and hitchhike back to Cisco. I've been on BL when conditions turn from bad to worse and 3-4 waves can come up very quickly.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Having the Cisco ramp open is great just be prepared for all conditions.[/size][/font]
[signature]
BLFG thanks for the report. I was getting a little depressed about not being able to get out one more time. Whew![cool] BLM those are some very good points. It does get nasty quick at times and thats good advice to follow.
[signature]
Too bad for Old Coot this morning. He could have used the ramp. My friend met them out off Guss point this morning and decided to team up on the launch. Needless to say they got one truck stuck in the sand and snow and the other truck stuck in the sand in the lake. I am sure we will all hear about it in his report.
Knowing when to get off the lake comes with experience. I have seen the conditons you have talked about. I was with a friend from California years ago during one one those times. Never could get him back out on the lake. Best to get off early and be safe.
[signature]