Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake whitefish "catching" report for Sat. 12/4/204
Well I fished Bear Lake today (Sat.) off Cisco Beach for whitefish as planned with a friend from Farmington. We started at about 9:30am and finished by 11:30 with both of us limiting out (20 fish total) and catching and releasing several more fish. We hooked one trout but it got off before we could get it close to the boat. The weather was awesome. Bright sun, no inversion, flat as glass, and warm (compared to earlier in the week). There was even three guys in waders casting from shore (and catching some fish) and a guy in a toon. The launching ramp at Cisco Beach was great. Not a lot of problems there now that the ramp was modified. Several boats also busted out of the ice at the marina and were fishing the rockpile and off Cisco Beach. I do not know how they did. Our fish were caught on ultralight rods, with 4lb test line. We fished in 12 feet of water using both small jigs and a silver Swedish pimple (1.5" long tipped with a "green booger" from HFT....thanks James! I finally got around to trying them like I said I would. They worked awesome!) Here are a couple of pics. The fish averaged about 16" and about 1.5lbs. The run is at its peak right now and should last through next weekend if we are lucky then begin to taper off. I also fished on Wed. and two of us limited on whitefish in about 2 hours. These fish are awesome to eat. Either deep fried, smoked, grilled or turned in cheviche (sp?). My kids love even love 'em and they're not big fish fans! Hey BLM, why don't you post your recipe for cheviche?

[Image: wfpile1.JPG]

[Image: bigwf.JPG]
This pig was 19.5" long and weighed almost 3lbs!

[Image: wfpile2.JPG]
[signature]
That is a really nice mess o fish you got there BLFG. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
I fished at cisco beach on Fri and Sat also. About the same luck on whitefish, landed (and released) 4 mack and 2 cutts also. All trout were 4-5 lbs. Wish I had known there were some fellow BFTers there, I'd have said hello!!
[signature]
what were you using to catch those, I have never tried fishing for them,
jed
[signature]
I was using a tube jig, with a piece of nightcrawler on it. Was fishing for whitefish when I caught the trout. Put it on the bottom, come up a couple of inches, and start jigging. I had most luck with real small movements, when you feel something different, set it!!
[signature]