Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake (report)
Got to the lake late Friday evening so no fishing that day. Woke up early Saturday morning and my boat trailer was frozen to the driveway so I decided to fish from shore at the marina. There is a small unfrozen channel from the launch area out thru the main channel. The bubblers are cranking away but I think that they will soon be shut down and unable to keep up. I fished the South breakwater and nailed the whites and cutt's. Fishing was hot and furious but I only had a hour or so to play because the family was awaiting my return for a day of sleding.

After some breakfast and an afternoon of fun in the snow I took my son and his friend back to the marina for some late afternoon fishing. I was pleased to have met "FISHNATE" there and spoke for a bit. I am not sure how he new who I was, but he came to my truck as I was rigging up poles for the boy's and said "you must be fish1on". Maybe he saw the BFT sticker on my truck and the BFT hat that I was wearing!!! LOL Not rocket science HUH!!!! We fished for about an hour landing a beautiful cutt and a couple whites. The boy's got cold (WIMPS) so we headed back to camp.

All in all a great weekend with family and friends!! It was nice to meet yet another fellow BFT'er (fishnate), I am beginning to think that if a person fishes they either know about BFT or are an active member when it comes to Utah!!!

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=7394;]

A COUPLE WHITES FOR BREAKFAST
[signature]
[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"][black]"A couple whites for breakfast" . . . that's cool![/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]I'm hoping to get out there a couple times more this week. Haven't got a white yet this year and didn't last year eather. [/black][/font][/size]
[signature]
I'll be fishing tomorrow mid-morning off Cisco Beach. Say hi if you're around. Will any other BFT'ers be up to Bear Lake tomorrow?
[signature]
Hey Coot,

How did your day turn out Friday???

My boy and I have now caught: Mack's, cutt's, whites, cisco, carp, and sucker from Bear lake.

Breakfast: Two over easy, white fish cooked in butter with some seasoning, and two slices of toast. That is an awesome meal!!!

Only kept the two, rest of the whites and cutt's went back into the drink for another day of fun!
[signature]
Have you caught a perch from BL? Dou you scale the whites or skin them before you cook them?
[signature]
I have heard tale of perch in Bear Lake but I personnaly do not believe there are any. The water is much too cold for a warm water species. I am probably wrong but have yet to see or hear proof of such. If it is true then I have my work cut out for me to get one. I would think that they would not do well there with the cisco and sculpin as the main forage species and the water temps as low as they are.

What do you know about them being there????? I got to know my friend.
[signature]
muskyhunter is the one that told me that perch where in there. he said he would take his kids up there and have a hay day with the perchies
[signature]
I am still new to the pond, but I would be surprized if they were there. Anyone else know about this? The more I hear about perch being in there the more I will believe it.
[signature]
They washed down from a pond on the south side above Bear lake. The best place to catch them is on the south side in the weed beds but once in a while someone will catch one on the rock pile during the cisco run. A few years ago we caught one near the pump house in the weed beds when we were ice fishing for cutts. I agree with you on the idea of there not being many in the lake. WH2
[signature]
I have fished the whole South end of the lake during the winter and have yet to find a perch. WOW, I have yet a new challenge!!!!!
[signature]
Nice fish you caught there Fish1On. How big was the cutt you caught?

A couple years ago I caught 4 perch in just afew minutes on the west side of the rock pile since I am not into catiching perch I moved so I coould get into the cutts or macs. The perch where big and it was the only time I have caught perch at bear lake.
[signature]
It was good to meet you too, Fish1on. I've seen your mug shot on here a few times holding up nice fish.

As for the perch in Bear Lake, my littlest boy caught a real brute just out from the Marina last November 28th while fishing for whites. To see a photo go to TheAnglers fishing challenge board the one where he's trying to get photos of all gamefish.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I hear the weather over there was great this weekend. As for perch in Bear Lake, I have never personally caught one but if you read this article on Bear Lake in the section under "Other Fish" is says there are perch in Bear Lake. [url "http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/fishing/bearlake.html"]http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/fishing/bearlake.html[/url] . Thanks again for the report.
[signature]
Thanks for all the replies... I now have some new goals...
perch thru the ice at Bear Lake would be way cool!
[signature]
Hey fish1on, I too have personally seen perch at BL. It was however dead. It was at the marina even. A buddy and I were scuba diving at the marina to pick up all the lures that you guys lost during the mack run.[Wink] It was a big 'un at 13ish inches. I don't think that there are many, and that is the only one that I have ever seen.
[signature]
Thanks for the info!

Can I have my lures back?? LOL

You should dive the rockpile area, I bet you could fill the back of a pickup truck.
[signature]
You can have your lures back if you can positively ID them[Smile] I would dive the pile if I could get someone to go with me. Its chilly right now, but I'd go.[shocked] If you wanna go fishin' and man the boat, I'd split the spoils! That goes for anyone else! You just gotta promise not to catch the 200 lb sucker cruisin' the bottom![sly]
[signature]
By the way, my goal is to catch a 10 lb mack on a fishing pole while scuba diving. THAT WOULD BE A KICK![cool]
[signature]
I will take ya out this spring when I have my bigger boat on the water. You would not want to dive out of my little 14 foot aluminum.
[signature]
Red-head, I would like to identify the three tackle box's of mac lures that were on the bottom of the lake. If you have not found them, they would be a little north and west of the rock pile. If they are the right ones they would have been found next to the lawn chairs, thermos's, ice auger, 4 fishing poles, and boom box. Yea, as you probably guessed it we broke through the ice one evening and lost most of our gear. I doubt any of it would be any good. It's been quite a few years ago.
BB.
[signature]