Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report: Rexburg Nature Pond & Roberts Gravel Pond
Got up early Saturday morning, and made the long five minute voyage to the Rexburg Nature pond to see if there were any hold over stocker rainbows. The ice was 2 1/2" but very clear and solid. I drilled about 30 holes looking for a place that was more than 3 feet deep. Finally I found a place that was a whopping 5 feet deep. I caught three 12" rainbows in that hole in about 10 minutes. Then I had to go to a baptism in Idaho Falls. I picked up a friend at noon and we headed off to Roberts Gravel pond. Again I struggled to find a true "hole". It seems like most of the lake is 5 feet deep. Eventually I found an area that was 8 feet deep. We caught at least 50 small perch and one rainbow each. I do not know where the trout were. I was really impressed with the Berkely Power Nymph. We caught many of the fish without bait because the nymph has such good action in the water with just a slight shiver of the rod.

Any other Idaho reports?

Goodluck
Windriver
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I've never fished the Rexburg City Pond before unless it was when I was younger and I don't remember. I've heard that there are bluegills, perch and Largemouth Bass in there as well as the planter rainbows. Just out of curiosity, do you know if there are any bluegills, perch or LMB left in there? Is the pond shallow enough that it normally winterkills every year?

I've fished Roberts gravel pond a number of times and have very good memories of that place. I remember one winter about 12 years ago that place was full of larger perch. I don't remeber ever measuring any of them but it seemed like a lot of them were 10 inchers. Even though I think it would be better for the lake if the F&G would have actual been successful at posioning all the bullheads and perch, in a way I'm kind of glade that they are still in there.

Even though you can see the bottom of the lake when you through your ice holes, there are still a few places that are deeper. The trout are sometimes hard to find at Roberts. You can sometimes find them in the deeper holes but sometimes there are just as many trout in other places.

When I get more time I will write a short story about an ice fishing pole that I found and lost at Roberts.
[signature]
There are no bluegill in the Rexburg pond. There are trout depending on the stocking, perch, and an assortment of fish tank releases such as gold fish.

It is three or four feet lower than usual. In the past I have caught 10-20 fish an hour with no problem. It is just too low this year.

Windriver
[signature]