Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flies in the winter
So Im kind of new to the whole fly fishing thing. Is it possible to continue to catch fish in rivers on flies in the winter ? If so , whats the trick. Obviously there isnt to many hatches going on etc.

Should I simply stick to bait fishing through the ice ?

let me know your thoughts...

Good luck to you all
[signature]
oh yeah you can catch fish in the rivers fly fishing.. just have to use fly's that look like bait that they eat this time of the year. nymphs, strimers. glow egg's.. and dont forget your icefly's there the best this time of year!!

dude on fish?
Ron
[signature]
Even in the summertime, most of the fish are feeding under the water. Nymphs like a hairs ear, pheasant tail, prince nymph, and even a woolly bugger will work best in the winter. There are several more nymphs that work as well but dry flies in the winter are used only on special conditions, when there is a hatch going on. The use of a strike indicator when nymphing will increase your catch rate. The fish will often take the fly very soft and you will not feel it. Watching the indicator for a hesitation or a change in drift direction. This will often let you know of a hit.Also you must mend your fly line so as to create a dead drift, meaning that your line is not pulling the fly through the water. Use only as much weight as you need to keep the fly down at the bottom of the stream.
This is all very basic information and you need to just go out and learn as you go. The trout are generally in slower and deeper current in the winter if they are not spawning. Remember that the spawn just ended for the browns, so don't walk on the gravel areas or the spawning reds as they are called.
You can have great success fly fishing in the winter and not be over crowded with other anglers. The biggest problem that I have, is keeping the ice off of my eyelets when the temp. is below freezing. Have fun DKS.
[signature]
The other replies hit got the message across nicely. Midges in all forms will be active during the winter. Scuds, sowbugs, and the other flies mentioned are always good to match. Think small sizes (18-24), in my experience, and you're normally better off. Then again, don't forget throwing a big ol' streamer can be hot too.

CADDFLY
[signature]
I catch even more fish on flies in the winter than I do in the spring and summer. In the early morning top water works still but during the day you have to get the flies down to the fish so I do a bit of nymphing. Flies work like a champ!
[signature]
So are most of you using a drop type rig. For example putting split shots at the end of your line, then tying a six inch or so leader about 8 to ten inches up your line with a nymph attached ?

|
| \
| \
|

Something like this ?
[signature]
Tiger midges are darn good producers in the winter. Wink
[signature]
Pretty much. The easiest way I set up a rig like that is:

1. Tie on another section of tippet to existing tippet using barrel or surgeons (or whatever you use). Make sure you leave a 3" tag of tippet. The shorter the tag, the less amount of probability of severe tangles.

2. This is where you will tie on your top fly. You don't have a lot of line to work with here, so be very conservative.

3. Repeat steps 1 & 2 if you want a second fly (I like two). Put the heavier fly on the bottom.

4. Underneath the last knot, leave 6 to 12 inches (depending on how close to the bottom you want your flies to be) and this is where you attach your split shot. Tie a overhand knot at the end of this and you'll keep your split shot a lot longer.

Advantages of this rig:
*Flies are drifting a lot more free, than compared to when you tie the second one on the bend of the first
*You can position your flies at any depth from the bottom
*Most of the time when snags happen, it is your sinkers, not your flies
*I catch more fish on this rig

DiSadvantages:
*Takes a lot longer
*You have to re-rig a lot if you don't have the right flies
*Sometimes when the fish take the top fly, it gets pretty darn tangled up. My advice...cut it off and re-rig

Hopefully I've made enough sense. If not, let me know.

CADDFLY
[signature]
Catbait,

That's one way to do it. The other way is to have flies separated by about 16" with the split shot in between them. All personal preference.

My winter favorites include most midge imitiations (Zebra midge, brassie, Yongs, Yongs attractor, miracle nymph, etc), small hare's ears, small pheasant tails, sowbugs size 20. I will nymph a small black or olive wooly bugger from time to time as well. I hate glow bugs, too bulky, but they do work if that's what you want to use.

For hatch situations where you are fishing on or near the surface, don't forget RS2s, or any other small emerger pattern. A #20 olive Quigley can do well in a BWO hatch too. Look for cloudy days where the temp is a little warmer, 40-ish.

If I were you, I'd start out with the guys at FishTech. They know their stuff.

Hopper
[signature]
Flyfishing in the winter? Sure it's done all the time with successes in the Provo River.

BUT why limit the flies to the river when you can use it especially while ice fishing! I am not talking about those metal ice fishing flies... you can use your caddis or your bugger, nymphs through your ice hole too. I've seen my friend do it successfully with perch, and trout. You can hang your fly with the kastmaster as a attractor, and 6-12 inches below it. It gets reallly interesting... but the downside is, gotta keep your fly in the water to prevent it from freezing, and to use a tiny forceps to gently pry it. If ice freezes on it it can get damaged by pliars, or some other forceps that aren't gentle.
[signature]
Best fishing is in the winter

maddawg
[signature]