Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warm Weather Ice-Conditions?
Now that the Jr. High Wrestling season is winding down I was hoping to get out and do some serious icefishing. This warm weather has probably "punked" most of the good ice around Rexburg. It is raining here this morning. Anyone else faced with punk ice because of the conditions?

Windriver
[signature]
It has been raining here and melted almost all of the snow around here. You could say that the warm weather has "punk" my ice fishing becuase it has made me to scared (or maybe just smart) to go on thin ice.

Here's a link with some recent weather observations that some of you might find usefull.
[url "http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesonet/surfaceobs.php?wfo=pih&htmlmap=pih&sort=name#table"]http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesonet/surfaceobs.php?wfo=pih&htmlmap=pih&sort=name#table[/url]
[signature]
I fished the rexburg City Ponds today and was also concerned about the ice conditions, but much to my suprise the ice was 3 1/2 inches thick. I did fabulous 34 fish myself 21 for my friend. I ve caught at least 20 fish everytime I have gone this week, I have gone 4 times his week. It is very frustrating because the water is so shallow and you miss 3/4 of the bites you get. I have been having success with a green paddlebug tipped with 2 mealworms/ 2 meallys keeps the stupid perch off. All planter rainbows except for a very suprising fat 16 1/2 ins Bow/ Very nice, especially fo there. This sounds dorky but the Rexburg ponds are my favorite place to ice fish by far. Good Luck!
[signature]
Hi windriver

I was at Island Park today and it didn't look solid at all and no one fishing. There are some old holes in the ice but it doesn't look that thick at all. I wasn't about to put this big body on it thats for sure. May have to wait awhile for some solid ice.

tybugs1
[signature]
I guess I should have checked it out further. Just didn't look that solid for a heavy wieght like me. I'm glad you clarified. I might have to go up next saturday and give it a try.
thanks
[signature]
I fished Island Park Reservoir at the dam and caught 6 fish with the largest a 21 inch rainbow, but broke off a larger fish that I could not get up into the hole. Where I fished, the ice was about 5 inches thick with about 4 inches of slush/ice on top of that. With wrestling tournaments, the next chance I will get will be during the holidays. All but one of my fish was taken on a chartreuse ice fly tipped with meal worms.

Bill
[signature]