Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake . . 12-11-04
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]Coot picked me up with boat in tow at early:30 AM this morning. Headed up Logan canyon and had to be careful of some tricky ice on the roads in a few places. Coming over the summit, we seen the lake all fogged in. Our first thoughts: "glad we have our GPS today".[/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3][/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3][inline BL-socked-in.jpg][/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]Launched the boat and seen Fish1on and F1O Jr. working the banks for whites. We headed for the rock pile with GPS on and guiding the way.[/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]The water temps were 40 degrees.[/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]Anchored up out at the rock pile and it wasn't but just a few minutes and I had my biggest white ever:[/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3][inline BC-big-white.jpg][/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]Another couple minutes and Old Coot had a nice cut:[/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3][inline Coot-w-big-cut.jpg][/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]It kept trying hard to clear up but didn't until later in the afternoon. Notice the soup in the background:[/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3][inline Foggy-air.jpg][/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]Later on, Kentofnsl come motoring over with Wiperhunter2 and (I think) Yper. They had a little success over on Gusse's Point. They must have brought us some good luck cause just moments after they left, we got busy landing cuts and one mack.[/size][/blue][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]The afternoon brought warmer temps and sun on the glass smooth water.[/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]We finished the day by balancing the scales: 5 fish each, 10 total. I boated one white and 4 cuts while Coot boated one mack and 4 cuts. Coot was a little disapointed that he didn't hook a BIG mack ... Better luck next year Coot.[/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]The boat ramp had pretty much melted off by the end of the day in the warm air:[/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3][inline Melted-Ramp.jpg][/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3] I had a great time on the Bear today, Thanks for taking me along Coot![/size][/blue][/font]
[signature]
It was good to see you and Old_Coot out on the pond. You guys did much better than we did. Wiperslayer, Kentofnsl and I had a slow morning, we boated three cutts, the largest was 19".
Hey Old_Coot, was the spot you were fishing today the same place you and Fishingwaters caught that 31 incher yesterday?
[signature]
[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"][black]BC, you are welcome in my boat anytime. Although, it's getting pretty hard to out fish you any more.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]WH2 ... It was good to see you guys too. I had been looking for Kent all morning but then when he was right in front of me I didn't even recognize him! Yea, it was pretty much the same area as yesterday. Guess I need to broden my horrizons a bit ... don't I.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]If I had all the time I wanted to fish that lake, I'd like to find out where more macks are concentrated (if they do that). I was told once that, before about three years ago, catching a lot more large macks was common.[/black][/font][/size]
[signature]
"I was told once that, before about three years ago, catching a lot more large macks was common."
We were talking about that very statement today, and I would have to agree with it. Even as recent as last year the catching was better but I think(or hope), it will improve next year when the cisco start their spawn. Was Fish1on fishing the North side of the dike at the State parks marina?
[signature]
You are correct the fishing on the Bear was alot better 2 to 4 years ago. There were many days when a 30 fish day was common. I believe that there are to many people keeping the larger mack and cutthroat. This takes away our spawners and depletes the lake. Also the low water years haven't helped either. It is exposing too much rock which the fish need to spawn in. Last year there were alot of cutthroat triing to make it up St. Charles creek to spawn. The water was spread out over the sand and the pelicans and sea gulls had a feast.[Sad] I guess all we can do is hope for water and always remember to take a picture and let the big ones go.

Bodine
[signature]
Great report. Good to see you guys got into a few. I'm begin to think I flipped the dinker over on the trailer upside down for the winter a tad to soon.
[signature]
[black][size 4]Thanks for letting me tag along on the trip to BL Friday I had a blast can’t wait to do it a gain. Next time I’ll try not to out fish you however every time I’m able to catch a Mack I get a bigger one. Next time we’ll have to take my boat or at least my bigger net. I hope that the 31” Mack We put back will help produce more Macks to improve the catching.[/size][/black]
[signature]
I was on the North Dike Saturday and Sunday!! I waved hello to every boat that went out.

Glad you all had a great day on the big blue, my report will be posted soon.
[signature]
nice lookin cutt coot.
[signature]
I was wondering if you were a BFT member when we went by. I did not see a BFT sticker on your tackle box so I wasn't sure. As we were leaving, we fished near the area that we saw you but saw no fish in the water and caught none. There sure isn't much of the rocks left in the water along that dike. I guess you have to be at that spot early in the morning to catch the whites, is that right? WH2
[signature]
I wear a BFT hat when I fish so it probably wasnt me. Fishing from the dike seems to turn off after 10 am for some reason. I hit it around 7 am or 5 pm
[signature]