Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2/4 Jordanelle Report (late...)
Sorry bout the late report...

I headed up to Jordanelle on Saturday morning (2/4) with my cousin and neighbor boy in the BOAT. We got a lot of strange looks at the gas station in Heber, everyone else had snowmobiles!

Anyway, we launched at the PWC ramp at about 7:30 a.m. which was dry and ice free, and headed directly over towards the Rock Cliffs in the boat. We stopped at the ice, threw an anchor out and started fishing. We were in 60 feet of water and the school was between 20 and 25 feet. They were so thick it looked like a solid chunk of fish on the finder.
They were all about 12 to 13 inchers at that depth, but we did manage one 17 inch Rainbow and I caught a 19 inch Brown down on the bottom with 1 inch perchlings in its mouth! (I didn't think 1 inch perchlings were down that far...

We ended up with 17 fish total for the day. We kept the Brown, the big Rainbow and two of the smaller Rainbows and let the rest go.

We were using White tube jigs with ANYTHING! The bite ended about 10 a.m.

Boat conditions were awesome and we saw the ice fisherman waaaaaay east of us on the ice.

See pics.

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Nice report NETO, sounds like you did a lot better than most of the ice fishermen. It's nice to read a report from someone fishing from a boat. Were you jigging to catch all those fish or dead sticking? Your report makes me think it might be worth while to get the boat out. WH2
[signature]
I could see you out there on Sat. I was telling MGB off of the point where you were fishing is a good spot to catch the browns.

Thanks for the report.
[signature]
WH2,
Seems like the deadsticking produced most bites for me, but my cousin actually outfished me and he usually likes to jig up and down constantly. He would sometimes be on the "upstroke" and declare "fish on". I would watch my jig go down into the school of fish on the fishfinder, set my pole on the side of the boat and it would start bouncing almost immediately until about 10:30 or so and then the bite just seemed to stop. I seemed to miss more than usual and had to re-bait a lot! I was using the same size jig that I've been using at Strawberry and maybe I needed to downsize a bit to hook up more often.

The conditions were perfect, not much wind most of the morning and the water was very calm. We parked right up next to the ice and actually set the anchor on the ice to keep us put. When someone moved around in the boat I guess it would naturally jig a little bit.

It was VERY GOOD to get out in the boat again!!!

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Is it just me or does that brown look more like a brownbow than just a pure brown?
[signature]
I'm no expert on the brownbow but the one in the picture does seem to have some rainbow color. WH2
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Not likely a brownbow. Looks like a normal "lake coloring" brown. While some Jordanelle browns do get more of the brighter stream coloration, those that stay deeper usually get more silvery with black dots.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also, the brownbow does not occur in nature. It is a hatchery hybrid that is very difficult and expensive to produce. Only a limited number have ever been raised in Utah and none were planted in Lake X.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here's a pic of the "brownbow" you are most likely to catch in Utah...although (thankfully) not in Lake X (yet).[/#0000ff]
[Image: mm20043.gif]
[signature]
[laugh]
[signature]