Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview Muskie Hunting?
...So do most people troll or cast for tigers? And more specifically, what lines are used, and do you use steel leader?
I have a trolling pole with a Penn levelwind reel and leadline, and a med/heavy rod with a nice reel and 15lb fireline.
Would I need to add steel leader to these outfits? or just fish them the way they are?
Thanks again!

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
I've intivted myself to go with N.E.T.O this Saturday. We are going to launch about 7:00am, its not my favorite time to muskie fish but what the heck I will go any way.

You are right when you say "no single lure or method is a guarantee" there will be many days you drive away with out even a follow. I usually use a smaller lure but will use a #13 jointed rapala. Most of my muskies this year was caught on a #7 shad rap.

It takes aleast a 17pound line to pull your lures out from the snags and it is good to keep checking your line for any abrasions.

Here is a pic of my largest and my smallest muskie this year, they were both caught on the same size lure a #7 shad rap.
[signature]
Good Luck to you . Been thinking of going up there too , but I'm looking for panfish if I go . Just wish it would ice up .
[signature]
You are welcome to join us.
[signature]
Thanks everyone again for your posts and suggestions,
as MGB mentioned, he has volunteered to go along with me and I'm so anxious to go now that I won't be able to sleep tonight again (didn't sleep last night either, thinking about hooking up on a big fish all night...).
At first I was going to take my boat, but as it turns out we'll be going in his and I'm anxious to see a genuine Tiger setup at work!
I'm anxious to see first hand the actual and proper equipment used not only to try and catch one, but more importantly, the equipment and techniques used in handling the fish once caught (If we get lucky) to ensure that the fish safely returns to the water to fight another day. And if we don't get into one, it will still be a good day!
The first time out this summer fishing for tigers, I had purchased a few lures and took my wife along and after about an hour or so of trolling I suddenly realized that if I did happen to catch one, I had absolutely no clue how to handle once it was landed, nor did I even have any of the proper equipment!
I guess it was fortunate that I didn't hook into one that day.
Anyway, I'll post on Monday after the trip.
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Just before I release a muskie on my pontoon I drag hjim around a little to airate his gills, then I hold him by the tail and move him back and forth until he gives me a kick with his tail telling me he is ready to go on his way.

On a boat you have an easier approach if you don't wear the bugger down too much, you can hold the muskie like a javalin and "torpedo" them head first into the water airating the gills and helping them get going.

Take photos if you have a digicam, look forward to the report. Good luck and happy hunting!
[signature]
CBR I hope you were joking about the javalin throw of a musky is all you need. these fish are big and strong but after you get them worn out they need lots of help or they will end up dead. I have taken hours after getting a fish unhooked just to make sure she was ok before I went on my way. there are 2 big reasons you seen dead ones around a lake. 1st people dont know how to handle them right so they or the fish dont get hurt. 2nd poeple just throw them back and drive off . lots of times the fish will swim away for a bit but then a few mins later you see them floating a bit away. so you need to go back and help them. sorry but this is a sore spot for me because there are just so few muskies in a lake.
[signature]