Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Update 12/23/2004
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Polokid, Natalie and myself made the journey up to BL today despite the forecast of a 10 deg high and 19 mph winds with 30 mph gusts. The drive through the canyon was uneventful but the temperature near the summit registered -20 degrees! BBBBRRRR![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We dropped down on the Bear and it came up to a balmy 5 degrees. As we pulled into the marina, to our dismay, the marina was 3/4 froze up and the entire launch was blocked by a sheet of ice about 1" thick except for the extreme southern side which was open just barely wide enough to squeeze a trailer through. The problem was, after we surveyed the rest of the marina, was that it was covered with ice except around the bubblers, all the way to the main lake. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We decided to give it a go and launched the Boomerang. Polo stayed with the truck, while I and Natalie, would try to get through. The first sheet of ice was about 1" thick and spanned the entire width of the main channel for about 15 yards to the next bubbler and open water. I eased the boat up and on to the ice and the ice finally would give way from the weight of the boat. If you've never heard ice scrapping against the sides of an aluminum boat, I don't recommend you trying it but we did get through it.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]As we continued on through the frozen marina, we finally came to the channel that leads to the main lake. It was not solid but the ice sheets floating in it were close to 2" thick. Luckily they gave quarter and we made it to the open lake only to turn around and go back through it all again to pick up Polo.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]After the trail was broken, it was not a problem to get back out. My only concern was being able to get back in when we decide to return.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Once we hit the main lake, we were into 2-4 foot rollers so we motored down to Gus' Point at a slow pace with a following sea. The temperature was still in the single digits and a mist was coming off the water, making visibility limited. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Once we got to Gus', we threw the anchor and got her to grab but the wind was picking up and the rollers were starting to cap. It was not uncommon to have a 5' wave come through. Now, I may be crazy, but my momma didn't raise no fool and with conditions diteriorating and the temps and conditions leaving no room for error, we decided to bag this lunacy and get back.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]It took 45 minutes to get back to the marina. The ice had shifted in the marina and we had to break our way back to the launch. A sheet of 1/8" thick ice covered the entire outside of the Boomerang's hull and Natalie's coat was cover with ice too since she was sitting on the side of the boat the wind would blow the spray from the waves back into the boat.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We got the boat back on the trailer. Everything was covered with ice but after inspecting the hull for possible ice damage, I was relieved to find no such problems. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The ride to Logan was uneventful but we never did see temps go into double digits and the summit was still below minus 10. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I'd say short of a major weather shift, boating on BL is finished. With the marina froze and the Cisco Beach ramp under repairs, you would be hard pressed to launch anything but a small boat from the shoreline.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The time has come to take the boat down to Lee's and get it winterized and hope the ice comes quick to Bear Lake. The water temp was 36-38 degrees.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Wow Rich, sounds like a day on the Bear that I am glad that I missed.
[signature]
I just got off the phone with Polo, you all are brave souls! The things we do to get a fishing trip in. I am glad both my rigs are winterized or I may be tempted to launch.

Guess it is time to concentrate on the hard water fishing now.

Great info and report, thanks for sharing. I cannot make it up there for a few weeks so it is nice to hear info about my favorite pond.
[signature]
BLM-

You are one determined Dude!! LOL Glad it all worked out!
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] Ahhh, the sign of true fisherman, Crazy but true. My friends I am glad that things worked alright for your return and that you are safe.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3] Merry Christmas everyone.[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3] AFDan52 [/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Talk about cold, but at least i wasnt at work!!! I had a fun day away from the house or work. We all went to Mantua after and it was really slow, but was able to hit a couple of kamloops.
As for Natalie, she doesnt know how she feels about cold weather boating, but she is anxiously awaiting for some perch waters to freeze and to hit the berry.
[signature]
Sounds like a FUN day on the Pond[crazy]
[signature]
And some actually call me nuts and a old Die-hard! SHEEESH! [crazy]
Great report Rich but did I miss something? What, no fish?![Wink]

And just out of curiousity,, did anyone happen to kiss that aluminum hull once the boat was back in the harbor? If so, any pictures?

All joking aside. I'm glad yous guys made it back in one piece and the boat has lived to float and fight another day.
[signature]
[cool]Holy Crap! What a crazy day on the big blue pond. Thank the Good Lord[angelic] you guys navigated out of there alright to fish another day, eh? Guess you'll be nailing macks through the ice soon! What an adventure! You definitely don't live in the slow lane, BLM!
[signature]
You have honestly set a new standard for diehard in my book. Holy Cow!! [Tongue]

Glad to hear all are safe and sound... that could have been ugly fast.

F4F
[signature]