Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report Devils creek
Wiperslayer and I fished Devils creek today from 8am to 1pm. We fished in 15ft of water using bait bugs and white buggers, tipped with wax worms and nightcrawlers. We caught 25 to 30 rainbows between 13 and 16 inches. We heard they were catching some kokanee in the last few weeks but we had no luck finding them. WH2
[signature]
thanks for the report curt. glad to hear you and Ira had a good day.[cool]
[signature]
Since Causey is finally frozen we are planning on fishing it Tuesday morning, do you have to work that day?
[signature]
i work tuesday but im thinking of hitting it on wednesday.
[signature]
Hi. Were you fishing down by the dam or along the west side by the RV park? How thick is the ice now? I was hoping to hit Devils Creek one more time this year before the license expires, maybe on Thursday. I never saw any Kokanee taken out in my trips there this year. I too have heard they are in there, but I don't know how you would catch them. Anyone else had any luck on the Kokanee there this year that wants to give us some pointers? Acey
[signature]
We were fishing near the dam on the west side of the cove in 15 ft of water. The ice was 11 inches, a friend fished it a few weeks ago and caught 2 kokanee using pink rat finkies. There are so many rainbows in there that you just have to be lucky for one of the kokanee to come by. Most of the fish we caught were 6 to 11 ft deep.
[signature]
wiperhunter2,

The way your post sounds you were fishing in 15 feet of water and catching suspended fish in 6-11 feet of water. Is that correct? I've only fished there a couple times this winter but have caught almost all of my fish within a foot or two of the bottom. The suspended poles that I have been fishing just haven't produced very many bites. Did you fish right within a foot of the bottom much or fish any poles only a few feet below the ice?

Acey,

I haven't caught any kokanee out of Devil Creek this year but there are a few in there like wiperhunter2 mentioned. The F&G have planted about 5000 fingerlings this May? as well as about 5000 fingerlings May? 2003. I've talked to a couple of people that have caught them but don't know of anyone that is catching them consistently. Remember that kokanee must be counted in the 6 trout limit.
[signature]
[size 1]We went out to devils creek on monday and did ok. We caught around 30 fish between the two of us. It was a nice day just to be out. It seemed there wasnt a consitant pattern that they were bitting on. Lot of people catching fish though. [/size]
[signature]
We started off fishing within a foot of the bottom but then we noticed fish were coming threw 5 and 6 foot down. We moved two rods shallow and left the rest deep. We were pulling up weeds on the deep rods so we brought all but one up a few feet. From then on, 95% of the fish were caught between 6 and 11 feet, thats still just a estimation on depth. We never tried fishing less than 5 ft.
[signature]
Thanks for the info wiperhunter2. If I fish devil creek again sometime soon I'll post a short report and let you know what depth I catch them at. Maybe there isn't as much oxygen in the water on the bottom of the lake as there was a couple weeks ago?
[signature]
It could be the oxygen but we were thinking the area we were fishing had a lot of weeds growing up from the bottom. Most of the fish might have been cruising above the weed line or thats what we thought.
[signature]