Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knew Knot
[size 1][#0000ff][cool]There has to be at least a hundred easy to find websites that show how to tie all the popular fishing knots...Clinch, Double Clinch, Trilene, Palomar, Surgeon's [b]Knot, Blood Knot, etc. Most anglers use some or all of those.[/#0000ff][/b]

[#0000ff]But, if anyone would like to try something [b]new, let me offer a knot that is old to me, and probably unknown to most people. It is a triple loop slip knot. [/#0000ff][/b][/size]

[#0000ff][size 1]As far as I know, I invented it for myself when I was about 12 years old. Since then, I have used it in fresh and salt water, for bait hooks, flies and all kinds of lures. It is quick and easy to tie and it is strong. I can't remember more than a couple of times that this [b]knot has failed before my line broke. And then I suspect it was because I did not tie it right or failed to snug it up properly.[/size][/#0000ff][/b][size 1]

[#0000ff]The good news is that it is a [b]knot that you can tie easily in low light conditions. I can even tie it by feel in the dark. That is great when the batteries on your little penlight are bad and you need to tie on a new fly or lure when the fish are actively feeding all around you.[/#0000ff][/b][/size]
[#0000ff][size 1][/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 1]I almost renamed this knot the "cataract knot". Until I got a new lens in my left eye recently, I had no depth perception and my lure making and knot tieing suffered greatly. I had a small cataract forming, right in the center of the lens of my left eye. Without this knot, I would have been almost unable to tie something onto my line. [/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 1][/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 1]Now my vision is greatly improved, but I still use the knot because it is quick and easy, and it is about as strong as any I have tried. On a recent trip to Bear Lake, with BLM, we found it to be a good knot for use for tying lures on the P-Line (flourocarbon) leader at the end of a superbraid main line. These lines are notorious for being tough to get good knot strength.[/size][/#0000ff]
[size 1][#0000ff][/#0000ff][/size]
[size 1][#0000ff]Here is a 3 picture "how to". The secret of the simplicity and easiness of the [b]knot is based upon being able to make three large loops in the leader, and then to snug them down so you do not waste any leader material. As I mentioned, I developed it as a fumble fingered kid, and it has remained my knot of choice over a lot of years.[/#0000ff][/b]

[#0000ff]To make it easier to see and understand, I used a large spinnerbait hook and some lead core line in the pics. I suggest practicing with a larger hook and line until you get a feel for it. Once you get your fingers trained, and learn how to make the moves, you can whip out one of these knots in a hurry, and don't need to worry about the strength.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]One final thought. If you are fishing with a hook or lure, with a thin eye to tie the line onto, you may want to run the leader through the eye twice before tieing the loops. This reduces the potential for having your line cut by the thin eye with only one wrap of leader.[/#0000ff] [/size][size 1]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=5508;]
[#ff0000]1. Make three overhand loops, one at a time. Grasp each loop between the thumb and forefinger, using them like chopsticks. (I held it wrong when shooting this pic, and the loops look like they are wrapped underhand)[/#ff0000]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=5509;]
[#ff0000]2. Run the tag end of the line up through the three loops being held between your thumb and forefinger.[/#ff0000]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=5510;]
[#ff0000]3. Moisten (spit) the knot and pull slowly, to take out the excess slack without wasting line, and to pull the knot down smoothly onto the hook eye. Trim the tag end.[/#ff0000][/size]
[signature]
Thanks TD, gonna have to give it a try!
[signature]
I was looking at old post and saw this knot you explained. I was taought tha knot by a captain in Ft Myers Fla over 30 years ago. It works great with heavy lb test.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Tony, when did you change the name? Did you have to reregister or something?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That knot works well with all lines, of all diameters. I have used it on stuff from 2# tippet to 130# mono in the salt. It is a good knot to use on P Line or others that are tough to get a good knot to hold on.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yes I re-registered. Bought a new system and did not remember the password. We also moved to Colorado do I will be fishing here and posting on the Colorado board. Thanks for the info.
[signature]