Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua Update 12/31/2004
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]As Predator said, "Somebody's going through the ice tomorrow".[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I drove down to Mantua around 2:00 pm. It was windy and raining the whole way through the canyon with the air temperature at 37 degrees. Yesterday, there was snow on the ice; today there was none. The rain had saturated all the snow putting a nice layer of water mixed with slush on top of the ice.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I threw on some Sorels with the intent on walking on the ice and drilling a few holes to check ice thickness and quality. As I got to the ice edge, you could see the water about 6" from the dike out to the ice. I hit the ice with the auger and it seemed solid. So I said ok, let's try it. The first step on to the ice, I went through in water just deep enough to go over the boot. Son of a biscuit eater! Yes the water is cold.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I stepped back on the dike and reached out with auger a little farther on to the ice. Solid ice. So I stepped out farther and the ice held. I walked out at about 25 yards and drilled a hole. I took a tape measure and the ice measured 3". I drilled about 6 more holes and they all measured 2-3/4" to 3", walking out about 150 yards from shore.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The whole time I'm doing this it's raining and I'm thinking, "Theres no way I'm going to sit in this rain all day without a shelter". Wet and wind suck![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Here's some pics of the lake taken today:[/size][/black][/font]
[center][inline DSCF0001.JPG][/center] [center]This is looking straight out from the ramp. There were two shelters out right next to each other.[/center] [center][/center] [center][inline DSCF0002.JPG][/center] [center]Notice the water around the dock.[/center] [center][/center] [center][inline DSCF0003.JPG][/center] [center]This is looking towards the north side of the reservoir. You can't see it very good but there is water showing around the shoreline. This will be covered with snow if the forecasts are correct for tonight.[/center] [center][/center] [center][inline DSCF0004.JPG][/center] [center]This is down at the inlet side on the southeast side of the lake. This was all ice last Sunday. Today it is mostly open water.[/center] [center][/center] [center][inline DSCF0005.JPG][/center] [center]This is looking towards the ramp from the inlet. The open water goes out 150 yards or so. Notice the rain on the lens of the camera.[/center] [center][/center] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]If you decide to fish tomorrow I consider a few things. First, I'd have a good rope. Second, I'd be wearing spikes or cleats or chains for traction. You may not need them to walk across the ice but you definitely will need them if you have to hold a rope to pull someone out. Third, I wouldn't put a kid on that ice without the minimum of a life jacket. Fourth, don't go out alone. You'll be glad in the event you go through.[/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The conditions are not that good. 3" of of good ice will support some weight. 3" of fairly good ice will support less. You can make your own decisions on this one. My family is not going out on this lake. Good luck and stay safe.[/size][/black][/font][/left]
[signature]
Those are great suggestions for keeping safe! It's not worth going for a swim in ice water...don't risk hypothermia, I've seen people die from it!
[signature]
So, it would be a good place to take an ex or a mother in law? Is that what you're saying?
Thanks for checking it out for us.
[signature]
its a given that lots of people are going to go threw the ice this year. im betting someone will die
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Looks like Geoff and I are going to hit something else, would like to avoid the lousy ice and hit something more solid.

Any suggestions?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I'm not telling anybody what to do. I tried to be objective in this update as I could. If you don't go because of it, don't be PO'd when someone who did says "It was a great day and the ice held". "Look at all the fish we caught!". I can hear it now.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Sorry, I can't read the future. I believe you could walk across that reservoir. Maybe... Are you willing to chance it especially with your family or somebody else's kids? Things have a way of turning ugly very quickly when you least expect it. Again, you can decide for yourself what the best course of action is.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Don't go giving me Ideas . [Wink]
[signature]
[cool]Yep, that does it. I sure don't need to catch Perch that bad!! I'll give it another week or two. I'm sure some insane person will nail some perch tomorrow and live to tell about it, but I'm not taking that chance! I think I'll head up to the higher country for some monster cuts one more time instead. Gotta get to bed. CBR is picking me up in 5 hours.
[signature]
It looks as if the storm has blown over and it is quite cold. Hopefully the rain on top of the ice froze before it snowed. Look for the big yellow dome at Mantua I’ll be on channel 12.
[signature]
very good report and some very good advice. its a good thing that some of us are looking out for the rest. i wouldn't go to mantua for another week aleast.
be safe and have fun.
[signature]
THANKS FOR THE REPORT & PICTURES. GREAT ADVISE ON ICE SAFETY. THANKS.......
[signature]