Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Causey report 01-01-2005
[Smile] My 13 yr old daughter and I just returned from Causey. Started fishing around 11:15. Right off the bat iced up a nice splake around 14 inches. Thought it was going to be one of those days, Boy was I wrong. Hooked into another one right away but lost him at the Ice. Then It died![unsure] We fished for another 3 hours, My daughter the fisherwoman put the skunk on me and iced up two. One cutt and one splake. Yep, She had braggin rights on the old man!

Tried out my new Vexilar and really enjoyed it. Still lots to learn. Any tips from anyone would be appreciated. I have the fl-8. Talked with some guys who were getting there at the same time as me that had just drove down from Mantua. They said that Doug Miller was up there with about 100 plus guys![unsure] Oh well, Will see how that pans out. They said that the ice was pretty iffy. anywhere from 1to 3 inches.

We were on a good 7-8 inches just off from the dam towards the scout camp. Meet up with another bfter from West Jordan. I appoligize I am Bad with names. Anyway talked with them for a while. They had fished Three + hours with not a bite! Good talkin with ya.

We caught our fish just off the bottom with white boogers. I had a wax worm on and the daughter had green power bait on with her wax worm. Not fast catching, But I could not ask for a better day and a better way to start off the year than fishing with my daughter and to have her out fish me. So what, She caught more. It made it worth it to see her catching them.
[signature]
if doug was up there there goes the neighborhood.
[signature]
Bugln4Bulls and I went to causey also. Started fishing about 8:30 and left about 2:00. We caught 6 splake and lost 1 at the hole. We should of had Pett4Life up there with us to show us how it is done. The first spot we started fishing we didn't catch anything then we moved and where able to hook up with afew. Caught ours on buggers and tube jiggs. Ran into FairwayPhilly up there, good to meet another member.
[signature]
when i was up there on monday i caught 15+ and missed alot more[Wink]
[signature]
We where fishing in 40' of water and catching them at the bottom or suspended 10' up from the bottom. We used small jiggs tipped with wax worms. Is there a better way of catching them or maybe it was just a slow day? Do you have any tips on catching the kokes?
[signature]
1-3" of ice, I wonder where they saw that. I've been there 3 times this week and the thinnest I've seen was 7". I wonder if it took all 100+ people to catch a fish for Doug to hold up on his show. Hopefully they all had a slow day too. I noticed the other day at sportsmans their fishing report wall said there was no safe ice at Causey. Just a FYI.
[signature]
sorry it was wednesday not monday i was up there. take me up there and ill show ya a couple tricks. the last 2 years has been very slow for kokes
[signature]
I was up there today and had to fish until 4:30 to get the skunk off of my pole. Only iced one 12" splake. Went with my inlaws and only one other fish in the group. Plenty of fish on the sonar they just didn't seem to want anything I sent down to them and I threw the whole arsenal, including the kitchen sink. It was nice to meet a few new BFTers, seems like just about every trip I take I bump into someone new. I'm sure everyone saw me. I was the one who spent the day yelling at the chocolate lab that visited every group on the lake at least 10 times.
[signature]
Fairwayphilly,
Dude, I enjoyed your dog! he was great. My daughter and I loved him up and we played with him for a minute. We were in 78 feet of water. LIke I said, I was learning how to use my new vexilar and playing with the gain and such, but from what i have been told, the green lines that bleeped on the sonar were fish, Then I watched fish coming through at diffrent depths and sometimes it went crazy. I guess I was not holding my mouth right to ice them up. Sounds like we did as good as anyone else today.
[signature]

[signature]
Travis, I think Rileyfish was saying the guys he met when he got there told him Doug Miller was at Mantua and the ice was 1 to 3 inches there, not Causey. At least thats how I read it, I could be wrong.
[signature]
You pick a hard lake to learn how to use your Vexilar on. First you need to use a narrow cone angle to get a better focus on the bottom and get around structure(rocks, logs) that stick up from the bottom. You will find that the Vexilar will pick up schools of small fish, which would be the green lines you would see. You need to adjust the gain down to where your jig turns the green from the minnows orange or red.
[signature]
Ditto on the vexlar comments. I have used mine 3 years and Causey is not the place to learn. Too much rock and other things that the signal bounces off. Hard to distinguish what is what. I'd venture to say that the green lines you were seeing was just "garbage" or interferance. If your gain is adjusted correctly to your hook, then anything bigger than the hook shows up orange or red. I don't think I have ever seen a fish or school show up as green. They really are simple to use, I could show you some of what I know if you want to hookup in a week or two. I am heading to Phoenix and Tuson tomorrow and won't be back till Sunday.

My solunar calandar lists last Sunday as being an excellent day for fishing with Monday and Tuesday as good days, Wednesday as an average day and Thurs thru Saturday as poor days. Seems that everyones experiences have shown the calandar to be right on. This Sunday (today) thru next Saturday is listed as average days with the next Sunday (Jan 9th) as a good day and the following Monday (Jan 10th) as being an excellent day.
[signature]
Hey Guys, I appreciate the info on the vexilar. I know that once I learn it I will be standing tall. I am thinking about heading up to deep creek in Idaho next week end or depending on the weather I might go to Bear Lake to try to fill my late season cow tag. Either way I will be out having fum with the kids. Once agin thanks for the info[Smile]
[signature]