Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roberts Gravel Pond-Report
Well with all the talk about fishing for perch in the dark I just had to try it. I got up on Saturday morning at about three A.M. and saw that the much talked about storm of the century had not come. So I loaded up the truck and headed for Roberts gravel pond. The trip went without incident until I got to the pond and decided that I should get off of the main road just in case someone else came and wanted to get by. I tried to guess where the small parking lot was because everything had been blown in with snow. I guessed wrong and slid off of the road. When I tried to back up my front wheels would not catch the ground and they slid toward the lake. I decided that the best thing to do would be to go fish and then come back when it got light to put on my chains and dig out. When I got everything down to the lake it was calm. As soon as I started to put up my ice tent the wind started to howl. Every time It tried to put in my support poles the wind would blow hard and the tent would catch like a sail and wap me in the face. One strong gust pushed the tent up and a pole cut the top of my head. I decided that I had had enough. So I drug everything back to the truck and proceeded to dig myself out. It took me about an hour to get the truck back on the road and I was about to go home when the wind died again. I decided I might as well fish since I was already there so I pulled all my stuff back out onto the lake, by this time it was aroud 6:30A.M.

I caught four trout in about the first five minutes then the perch started to come in. I did not catch a huge number of them but I ended up with 15 by the time I went home at 9:00 A.M. I did catch more of them in the dark then I did after light. The most interesting thing that I saw on the aqua-view was the fact that many of the perch would swim around to the front of the jig and test the round end that did not have the bait on it. It seemed like the majority of the perch would make a special effort to come to the front of the jig peck at it and then swim away rather then go for the baited end. I could not believe how many perch I was missing. I had pretty much constant action and only land 15.

I am thinking about having Kingfisheral make me some small jigs with a stinger hook on the front to surprise the perch next time.

Was anyone else crazy enough to go out in the storm?

Good luck this week

Windriver
[signature]
Thanks for the report and sharing what you have been learning from your aquaview.
[signature]