Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport Perch Party 1-17-05
We had a great time at the perch party today. Fished by Polokid and we nailed the PERCH. Five of us all limited out by noon with several perch going 11". We also picked up about 30 small trout. I don't know where everyone else went today. It was like we had the place to ourselves. I called out on channel 12 several times but got no answer back. Ice was 4" thick over by the ramp. We fished in about 40' of water using anything tipped with perch meat. A great first trip on Rockport for the season. By the time we headed home around 12:30 the ice was getting soft and wet. We used a plank to get on and off of the ice, because the shore was open water for 2' or 3'.
I hope that others will leave the plank alone and not take it, so we can use it again next trip!
I'll bet there will be a lot more folks up there next week!!! Just be extra careful up there!
One more thing. I hope that I never bring home 100 perch to clean ever again! What a back breaking job. Petty I now know what you felt like last year! DKS.
[signature]
That sounds great! I think I'll have to hit it next weekend.
And thanks for the generosity of leaving a plank; the best way to have to "walk the plank!"
[signature]
we were there yesterday by the ramp. we only caught 4 perch and 4 trout. i'm just glad there is ice on the rock.
[signature]
Thanks for the report DKS. I am planning on going up on Thursday so i hope the ice holds. How far out from the boat ramp were you fishing if you don't mind me asking. In years past I have always done better on the highway side by the last steep turnoff in 30' of water. I went by Rockport on Saturday afternoon and that area looked to be new ice. Did you happen to see anyone fishing that side of the lake?
[signature]
There were people fishing the highway side today and also yesterday, when I went up to check the ice. We were straight out from the ramp about 200 yards in 32' to 40' of water. The middle of the reservoir is new ice and not safe yet.The ice is better farther out on the ramp side for now. DKS.
[signature]
I sure hope the ice holds up, temps in the mid 40's predicted for park city for the next two weeks, might be getting a little sketchy by this weekend.
[signature]
Percha eeeyyeeee!!!! It was nice to fish with DKS again this year. We were fishing in 40 feet and constantly getting hits. the ice was about 4 inches and was getting soft. Hopefully it gets really cold at nights with these warm days to refreeze the day melt off.
We were using small ratfinkies on bottom with a TD jig about 14 inches above the ratfinkie, both tip with, well what else. Perch eyes!!! we would catch fish on both jigs.

BTW, fellow fisherman, becareful on the ice, definitely when there is no snow on it. I watch two gentlemen today try for the hospital, both slipping on the ice and falling on their backs and doing the head bounce on the ice. One guy probably has a mild concussion and the other guy fell later and they think he may have broken his shoulder.
[signature]
DKS glad you left your walking board but I would't count on it being there when you return. We were by the dam on sunday and I had taken a board to get to the ice with but when we got there one was already down on the ice so I left mine in the truck. Well the first guy to leave took the board with him leaving about 20 of us out there with no way to get back without a very long jump. I got my grandson across and sent him to the truck for the board we had and put it down. When we left I left it for the rest to get across on. It will more than likely be gone next time I return but I have more and will take another when I return.
[signature]
I think you will be right about the plank Fish4grandkids, but I just hope that it stayed there long enough for everyone to get back today. As Polokid said, at least 2 people were coming back wounded and limping. They would need the plank to get back without getting more injuries at the shore.
Everyone needs to be very careful on the new ice at Rockport. I don't think the ice will be getting any better for several more days, with the worm weather that is being predicted!
[signature]
Anyone out there interested in hitting Rockport with me on Thursday morning (1/20)? With the questionable ice it is always nice to have company around that can help you out in a pinch.
[signature]
Good job on the perch!! Hopefully the ice holds up for the weekend rush. I may take some Scouts up there instead of Scofield, more variety of fish to catch.
[signature]
[cool]DKSRenegade and Polokid, thanks for the excellent report. Glad you guys got into em today! I'm going there on Wednesday, and can't wait.

Fish4Grandkids, that really sucks about how "darn" selfcentered some people are that they'd steal a stupid piece of wood just to be jerks to everyone else. I hate people like that!![pirate] You know that same dude probably visits this site all the time to get his hot info, but will never join it to give anything back!

Anyway, I think I'll use my super jet sled as a plank to get on the ice Wednesday, 'cause I live in a condo and don't have any lumber laying around, nor do I have a pickup right now to transport it out there. Can't wait to get out. Sounds like we'd better take advantage of the Rock right now, 'cause the safe ice might not be there in a week or two with all of these 40's for temps!
[signature]
Yea it would have been nice if he had left it but I think it was his and maybe it was his only one and if it was his then thats ok even if I would have left it. That is why I always take my own when conditions are like they are now. Everyone above is right about the slick ice it is very difficult to walk on so be very careful if you go.
[signature]
I am with ya!!! Natalie loves to catch fish, but I get the big refusal on her learning how to fillet fish. [Sad] So I got 40 all to myself to fillet, talk about a tedious 1 hr 15 minutes. I really need to invest in a electric.
[signature]
I was up there yesterday too, on the highway side. I caught 15 perch and 2 bows, fishing in 50 feet of water. Everyone else seemed to be having the same luck. One guy had limited out by the time I got there at 8:30.

The edge was soft, but you could step right over that. The ice was 4", and yes, it got slippery. I had cleats though, so no prob.
[signature]
[reply][cool][#0000ff]That's a good argument for investing in some ice cleats to put on the bottom of your boots. Cuts back on the entertainment value, but saves some trips to the emergency room.[/#0000ff][/reply]

Shhhhhh... I wanna keep the entertainment venue! Beats not watching Seinfield on the ice... LOL.
[signature]
Well, maybe if they won't invest the $3 in cleats, they'll invest the $20 or so in a bike helmet. That should retain the entertainment value.
[signature]
Good point Mateo. It's not a good thing to see a melon on the ice. Helmets are a great idea for those who aren't interested in ice cleats.

Come on folks, bring on those helmets and leave those cleats at home.

For those already with cleats, bring your lazy boy recliner chair, your fishing gear and enjoy watching the ice dancing and fish at the same time...[laugh][crazy] Perhaps we can do a American Idol version of judging from our lazy boys... and insult those who don't do the triple salchow, and back flips... [Tongue][sly]
[signature]
Don't forget the camcorder.
[signature]