Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CISCO ARE RUNNING AT BEAR LAKE plus B.L. fishing report and access conditions
[font "Arial Black"][black]Bear Lake Fishing Report
Updated Tuesday, January 18, 2005

The cisco run at Bear Lake has officially started. This morning cisco were finally observed along Cisco Beach. A few schools of fish were observed and were dipnetted. This is a typical start to the run and it will only get better during the next week. This coming weekend should be excellent for dipping fish, providing the weather cooperates and the wind does not blow. If the wind blows, the fish will move off shore and cannot be dipped. If it is calm, the fish will swim in close to the shoreline. The lake is completely open water and the temperature has not been cold enough to produce any ice cover on the lake. Therefore, if you want to try to dip cisco you should come prepared. Wear chest waders or hip boots at a minimum. The fish are very spooky during years with open water and it is important to remain very still or the fish will simply swim out and around you. The best bet is to keep a low profile by kneeling down along the edge of the shore and wait for the fish to come to you. You can either keep your net in the water or you can try to "swat" the net down on top of the fish in the water that is really shallow (less than a foot or so deep). Remember the DAILY AND POSSESSION limit is 30 total fish. You cannot catch 30 one day and return again to catch 30 again the next day unless the fish from the first day were consumed or no longer in your possession. If you freezing the cisco for bait you are only allowed to possess 30 fish. This regulation will be strictly enforced.

Fishing on the rockpile has been good for cutthroat trout and whitefish. You should also be able to easily snag a limit of cisco in 1-2 hours of time if you prefer that method to dipnetting. Cutthroat and whitefish are in right on the rockpile in about 35 feet of water. They are feeding on cisco and their eggs so the fishing for those species will taper off as the cisco run progresses but should pick up again a few weeks after the cisco run is over. We spoke with several anglers fishing the rockpile yesterday and everyone was able to catch a limit of cisco. Use a spoon or other jigging spoon jigged right off the bottom. Don't be surprised if a cutthroat or lake trout hits your offering while jigging for cisco. Remember you can keep foul hooked cisco, BUT ALL OTHER SPECIES THAT ARE FOUL HOOKED MUST BE IMMEDIATELY RELEASED.

The marina is frozen and no boats can be launched from that ramp at this time. The only place to launch a boat at this time is the Cisco Beach boat ramp. Only smaller boats should be launched here and we caution you to use this boat ramp at your own risk. The ramp is very icy and there are several large rocks in the water at the base of the ramp. [/black][/font][font "Arial Black"][black]
[font "Arial Black"][black][#ff4040][#000000]Edit:[/#000000] If you're coming up with a boat make sure to bring a GPS or at least a compass. It has been very foggy on the lake and its darn near impossible to find the shore, let alone the rockpile![/#ff4040] [/black][/font]
The UDWR will update the telephone answering machine on a daily basis with the latest status on the run information and access conditions. We ask that you please call AFTER 4:00pm since biologists need to complete their work during the day and it is impossible to speak to everyone who calls. The UDWR Bear Lake office number is (435) 946-8501. [/black][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][black]

[/black][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I will be up sat. morning to get a limit of ciscos.
[signature]
Hey this may be a dumb? but do you have to use a dip net or can it be a creel net like you toss out and drag back in I have one i use to catch bait for the bear river and i was wondering if that will work oh and is a dip net just a fishing net or is it different i hate to ask it but i have never went for cisco and i would love to go i would just like a little info on what to use to catch them from shore thanks
Don
[signature]
The dip nets that you use are a steel mesh. I'm not sure if you can use the other type. The proclamation only states dip netting.
[signature]
The cast nets aren't legal. I tried to get Tom Pettengill of the DWR to help push through a change in the regs for netting, but it never was passed. I have some cast nets we used to use in Florida for catching baitfish in the surf, and they would be ideal! But as for now ... no go.
The proclamation says the hand-held dipnets must not have an opening that exceeds 18".
But those castnets would be a hoot. I'm gonna keep trying to get somone with some clout to get that changed to include other forms of netting.
[mad]
[signature]
Welcome to the site! Here is a link the this discussion a couple of weeks ago about where to get dipnets. [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=178713;search_string=cisco;#178713"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=178713;search_string=cisco;#178713[/url] . Hope this helps.
[signature]
[Wink] FYI:

We do have several dipnets here at our store in Garden City. We are located right out of the mouth of Logan Canyon in "Raspberry Square". We also have whatever else that you might have left behind or that you might need. Ciscos are not in hot and heavy but should get better and better. Action from the boat is hot but launching conditions are not. [Sad] Also - There is another place to launch your boat near Blue Water Beach. I am not sure how parking will be down there, I am sure they only plowed out as much as they needed to get themselves down there. If there is anyone interested in donating a little cash to the pot I could get someone to open it up a little more. If your not familiar with Blue Water, it is only about 300-400 yards from the Rock Pile. Let me know and I will see what I can do!

We are open in our store from 9am - 5pm. If there was any interest I would get here earlier......let me know!

[signature]
Welcome to BFT Darin. Thanks for the reports you put on your store website about Bear Lake. I think it will be great to have your input on this site as well. Best wishes.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I will be there this week too.
[signature]
Do you have to drive through Ideal beach resort to get to Blue water beach? I know before this last big storm, they had a road plowed down to the water. I've called them twice in the last week to find out if they were going to plow it again but got no positive answer. If you don't access the beach through the condos, how do you get to this road and are they charging a fee to use it? Thanks for your help, I would be willing to kick in $10.00 if that would help. WH2
[signature]
[right]
[/right]

TO ACCESS THE LAUNCHING SITE YOU WILL HAVE TO TURN DOWN AT THE "COTTAGES". THAT IS THE NEW SUBDIVISION JUST WEST OF BLUE WATER BEACH. IF YOU PASS BY THE PICKELVILLE COUNTRY STORE (GOING EAST) YOU HAVE GONE TO FAR. YOU WILL SEE THE SUBDIVISON ON THE LAKE SIDE. FOLLOW IT DOWN AND STAY TO THE LEFT. YOU WILL BE LOOKING FOR A GRAY HOME THAT HAS A MASH EMBLEM ON IT. THIS IS A PUBLIC EASEMENT SO THERE IS NO FEE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS AREA. IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS FINDING IT OR ARE A LITTLE CONFUSED BY MY DIRECTIONS JUST STOP BY OUR SHOP.......PUGSTONE'S........LOCATED IN RASPBERRY SQUARE.......YOU CAN'T MISS IT.......WE ARE RIGHT OUT OF THE MOUTH OF LOGAN CANYON........OR JUST FEEL FREE TO CALL ME..........435.946.2855.

JUST AN UPDATE: THE CISCO WERE IN THIS MORNING PRETTY THICK. IT IS NOTHING LIKE IT WAS LAST YEAR. THE CISCO ARE ABLE TO SEE YOU SO THE KEY IS TO KEEP A LOW PROFILE. WADERS ARE PRETTY MUCH A MUST. I WOULD MAKE SURE TO KNEEL DOWN AND SEPERATE YOURSELVES FROM OTHER PEOPLE. THIS SEEMS TO MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE. I WILL UPDATE MY WEBSITE IF YOU WANT MORE INFO........WWW.FISHINGBEARLAKE.COM........IF THE ADMINISTRATION OF THIS SITE WOULD LIKE I COULD ALSO POST MY INFO HERE.......I THINK SCOTT TOLENTINO TAKES CARE OF THAT HERE THOUGH. ANYWAY, GOOD LUCK AND IF YOU NEED ANYTHING GIVE US A CALL.........IF IT WERE ME I WOULD BRING A BOAT, IF YOU HAVE ONE, OR ASK TO JUMP IN WITH SOMEONE ELSE.......IT IS A LOT MORE ENJOYABLE TO CATCH YOUR LIMIT OF CISCO BY BOAT OFF OF THE ROCK PILE........P.S. ~ THE FISHING HAS BEEN "RED HOT".......LOOK FOR IT TO STAY THAT WAY FOR ANOTHER WEEK BEFORE IT TAPERS OFF.........WEATHER WISE: THERE IS ALOT OF FOG OVER HERE.....BE CAREFUL WHEN TRAVELING AROUND THE LAKE, THE DEER ARE SUPER THICK AND SO MANY HAVE ALREADY BEEN SLAUGHTERED. WE NEED AS MANY DEER AS WE CAN GET THIS YEAR BECAUSE WE ARE GOING TO LOSE ABOUT 75% OF THE NEW FAWN CROP!
[signature]
Thanks for the update and look forward to many more Bear Lake updates from both Scott T and you.
[signature]
[black][Tongue] Thanks for the information. I appreciate all of the support that everyone has so graciously given to us. I was in the process of trying to get a banner posted to our website, I love the cartoon of the week one. I will try to get it up and running. I wish I was a little better at programming but I do struggle when it comes to that.......maybe that is why I haven't changed any of our photos for the past 3 years.....lol........anyway, thanks again for the information.
[/black]
[signature]