Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport Report 1/19/05
[cool]Finally got out to fish some Perch hardwater today (well I did fish Mantua last Sat. but I wouldn't call that Perch water). Met CBR at the Gas Station down the hill and proceeded up the hill at about 7:15. Checked out the West side of the lake and it looked like scary ice, especially in the daybreak, so we decided to just go over to the boat ramp and pay. Got out on the ice o.k. via the plank (thanks DKSRenegade). Upon further inspection of the shore, there was a safe spot to get on about 30 ft south of the ramp-don't know how many more days that will last). We went out about 150 yards from the ramp and drilled the holes. CBR started nailing Perch right off the bat, and I caught just one to his 4 or 5, so I switched setups.

Just around then low and behold, who should open his yapper on our radio's but petty4life asking if there was any BFT'rs on the lake, and unfortunately we responded (j/k, petty[Tongue]) and within about 15 minutes petty and HCD showed up and joined us. Right about then (like clockwork) our bite pretty much shutoff, but we all had a good time. Then after a few more minutes polokid called CBR (or vice versa) and shot the breeze for a minute. One hour later Rob (polokid) surprised us and out came he and Lily to join the party.

The bite was slow for all of us today with most of us only landing a couple, but saw two guys (probably "guests" of this site) out about 200 yards nailing the Perch, but even they left at about noon because the fishing was so slow. Petty and HCD left at about the same time, and CBR and I left at about 2.

I only caught two Perch, and one little bow. CBR ended up with about 6 I think and one nice little Brown. The bright spot for me was that one of the two Perch I caught was 12 inches, and I have a pic to prove it. Also saw many deer when we first got there including a nice three-point buck. Also met bassrods, whose name is Clifford. He's the guy that holds the smallmouth record at Jordanelle, and it was interesting chatting with him about Smallmouth fishing, which he obviously knows a lot about. He's been featured on Doug Miller Outdoors and also Utah's Best Fishing Holes on Sportsbeat Sunday (ch. 5) w/Rod Zundel last summer. I knew that I'd seen him somewhere before

Ice looked pretty hairy (especially around 2 when we were leaving). For those of you planning on hitting Rockport this weekend, you have been warned that there might not be safe ice. I'll let CBR talk about the ice that moved on us as we were leaving.

[inline "Rockport 12 inch Perch.jpg"]
[signature]
[cool]Forgot to mention that we were fishing in the exact spot where polokid and his fiance were fishing on Monday when they slaughtered 'em, and even he couldn't believe how slow it was today for everyone.

We're supposed to get colder sometime like the weekend after next. Hopefully that will make the lake safe again, because I guarantee someone will fall in this weekend (if not multiple people).
[signature]
I HIT IT TUESDAY THE ICE AT THE SECOND REST ROOM IS OK IT LOOKS SHAKY BUT IT HELD US. HEAD OUT NORTH ABOUT 200 YRD OUT FROM THE FIRST BIG POINT IN 40 OR SO FT. THE BEST LURE WAS A SWEEDISH PIMPLE BRONZE TIPPED WITH EYEBALLS. WE LIMMITED QUICK. GOOD LUCK NEXT TIME OUT.
[signature]
you should have sent petty about 100 yards away and then the perch would have started to bite again, he is bad luck ...........................................................Just kidding jason,
[Tongue] jed
[signature]
Right On! Out4Trout. T'was a slow day for "lake nonstop". I have a great photo of CBR with all of his perch. Hookedchica has my camera or I would post it now (she's at work) so I'll post the photo later. It was great to see you again Out4trout, and nice to meet you, CBR, you guys are hilarious. As usual, Petty brought along his bad juju and infected everyone around him; but, that's what happens sometimes. Polo impressed me with his warm water fish knowledge( I'm serious here, I learned alot Rob!). By the way Polo, did you land as many as I did? Great day guys, the weather was perfect, and I'm glad Petty and I got off the ice when we did, it was seriously sketchy!
HCD
[signature]
Thanks for the report O4T. I am going up tomorrow morning so hopefully it will get cold tonight and make things a little more stable. I will post the outcome of my trip.
[signature]
Every pop that ice made and that I felt made me think it was the end. Game over. Smile

On our way off the ice we wandered onto a piece of ice that was not attached to any other pieces so it sunk when you walked on it. Quite dodgy!

Was great meeting HCD and hanging with Pretty4life er.... Ugly... er... The ice hole thief himself. And as always was great sharing the ice with Gee-off.

Can't wait til the new addition comes so i can get back to my regular fishing schedule.

I wont be fishing Rockport til after another cold snap, by 2PM the ice was seriously losing strength.

Can't wait to see the photo. Smile
[signature]
[cool]Forgot to also mention that I had a great time with all of you, even if the fishin' was slow. We've gotta all do that again sometime, but with more catchin'!
[signature]
Surprised from your report it is so slow for you . Did you punch very many holes ? I moved around a lot sunday . I bet I punched 15 holes last weekend in about 100 yard area and was catching fish all the way to 3:00pm when I left . I hope to hit it again this weekend .
[signature]
it alway fun fishing with good friends. and you to geoff.
[signature]
I did Rockport today with a friend from work. We were out by the first outhouse, but didn't get to start fishing until 1:30 PM. 3, count em' 3 inches! If there were so many people already out there we never would have tried it. As it turned out the fishing rocked! After no bites for 30 minutes or so the perch came in droves. We packed up at 4:30 with two limits and caught many more.

We were at 50 feet using jigs and worms to start but then switched to eyeballs and the action was non-stop. It was 45 degrees out there. I'm not going back until someone reports 6 or more inches. Sitting there wasn't bad but the walk out and back was scary.
[signature]
[cool]That's probably our problem, Hellsangler69, was that we only moved about 2 or 3 times, so I don't think we were ever near the huge schools, just small ones. Next time I'll move more, but I'm not going again until that place gets more ice. It's only going to get worse there for the next week-week and a half or so[pirate]. Thanks for the tips, though!
[signature]
[cool]Sounds like the West side was the place to be today. Next time (in about 2 or 3 weeks when safer ice), I'm gonna try right out there instead of the boat ramp area.
[signature]
Hey, CBR

Attached is the photo. I'm a rookie on posting photos; so it took me a couple days with Tubedudes help. Hope this goes thru!
HCD
[signature]
tryin' again!
[signature]