Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UPDATED Cisco run report
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]This is the last report until next week. Good luck to those coming up this weekend.

The cisco are running at Bear Lake. This morning the cisco were running in fairly thick schools along Cisco Beach and most anglers were able to easily dip their limits of fish in about a ½ hour or less. The run started on Tuesday and will only get better during the next week. This coming weekend should be excellent for dipping fish, providing the weather cooperates and the wind does not blow. If the wind blows, the fish will move off shore and cannot be dipped. If you want to try to dip cisco you should come prepared: wear chest waders or hip boots at a minimum. The fish are very spooky during years with open water and it is important to remain very still or the fish will simply swim out and around you. The best bet is to keep a low profile by kneeling down along the edge of the shore and wait for the fish to come to you. You can either keep your net in the water or you can try to "swat" the net down on top of the fish in the water that is really shallow (less than a foot or so deep). If you prefer to catch cisco with a hook and line, you should also be able to easily snag a limit of cisco in 1-2 hours of time off the rockpile area or off the pump house area on the east side of the lake. Use a spoon or other jigging lure jigged right off the bottom. Don't be surprised if a cutthroat or lake trout hits your offering while jigging for cisco. The valley has been fogged in with thick fog for the last week. If you venture out in a boat, be sure you have a GPS unit or at minimum a compass so you can find your way back to shore. Visiblity is about 50 yards out on the lake!Remember you can keep foul hooked cisco, BUT ALL OTHER SPECIES THAT ARE FOUL HOOKED MUST BE IMMEDIATELY RELEASED. Remember the DAILY AND POSSESSION limit for cisco is 30 total fish. You cannot catch 30 one day and return again to catch 30 again the next day unless the fish from the first day were consumed or no longer in your possession. If you freezing the cisco for bait you are only allowed to possess 30 fish. This regulation will be strictly enforced.

The lake is completely open water and there is approximately 2-3 feet of snow on the ground. The Utah State Park marina is frozen and no boats can be launched from that ramp at this time. The only ramp where a boat can be launched at this time is the Cisco Beach boat ramp. Only smaller boats should be launched here and we urge you to use caution and use this boat ramp at your own risk. The ramp is very icy and there are several large rocks in the water at the base of the ramp.

Fishing on the rockpile has been very good for cutthroat trout and whitefish. Cutthroat and whitefish are usually right on the rockpile in about 35 feet of water. They are feeding on cisco and their eggs so the fishing for those species will taper off as the cisco run progresses but should pick up again a few weeks after the cisco run is over.

The UDWR will update the telephone answering machine on a daily basis with the latest status on the run information and access conditions. We ask that you please call AFTER 4:00pm since biologists need to complete their work during the day and it is impossible to speak to everyone who calls. The UDWR Bear Lake office number is (435) 946-8501.[/black][/font]
[signature]
I have never fished for cico, what is the deal with them, are they really tasty critters? I hear alot of hype with the cisco run each year so i was just wondering. it will probably be a few years before i can ever fish for them though.
[signature]
I haven't eaten any cisco yet, but my friends who fish Bear Lake a lot catch the cisco and take them home and freeze them and then thaw them out later in the year to use as cut bait to tip jigs when fishing the bottom for the macks and cutthroat trout. I have never made it to any of the Cisco Disco parties where they deep fat fry the cisco and eat them there on the beach. Acey
[signature]
Some think it strange but I have eaten them and thought they were ok but nothing to get crazy about. I thought they were much better than the whitefish I've had out of the lake and many think the whites are an excellent eating fish. For me the important thing is that the big fish think they are superior eating.
[signature]
I've never eaten them but I think I'll cook a couple this year and try them. How did you cook the ones you ate?
[signature]
Now days they tend to be more precious to me as bait then food. However, when I was young we used to gut them, brine them, and then smoke them, head, tail and all. Pretty darn tasty with the salty smoky flavor added.
[signature]