Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport 1/20/05
Hey guys, My dad and I headed up to rockport 12:00 got there around 12:45. We were there till 5:40. My dad caught his limit on perch , I on the other hand only caught one perch, we only caught 1 trout that was puny. we stayed till dark , then it slowed down and we left. We talked to a guy there that dropped his brand new cell down his fish'n hole. When we left there was still 5 people out on the ice still. I was using a white jig with perch meat , my dad was using a sinker with a small hook 12 in. up the line with perch meat.
[signature]
sometimes simple is the way to go.. i am surprised that you only caught a couple of fish and your dad limited out.. how far away from him were you fishing??
[signature]
I was about 15 feet away. I was getting a lot of bites I just couldn't hook them. They were biting very soft. I still had lots of fun though, and thats all that counts.
[signature]
thanks for the report clint. welcome to bft. ill bring you some stickers tomorrow.[Tongue]
[signature]
Welcome Sugarbear.
One thing you may want to try to help ice more fish, is to have a stiff rod and a wire strike indicator on the tip of it.
I had to use the indicator on my rod on Monday so that I could see the light strikes. The stiff rod allows you to get a good hook set. Also use 4# line and fish directly on the bottom. I use a two hook set up, and my first hook will sometimes be resting on the bottom. I will life it up very slowly and let it back down the same way. Quite often there will be a fish bite, right then. Good luck and come to the perch party on the 29th if you can. DKS.
[signature]
I will have to go get me one of those indicators, thanks for the info
[signature]
Hey sugarbear, welcome to the board. What are the ice conditions like up there right now?
[signature]
[Wink]Hey Sugarbear1 welcome to the board, a trick I use if I lose or break or use a pole I dont have an indicator on is put a finger on the line next to the reel while holding your pole, you will feel the resistance and be right on the hook set, when you first start doing it you will have to get used to the resistance your jig is giving you, then after that any additional resistance or lack of resistance above or below that you will feel as a hit, and be able to emmediatly set the hook. I have tought my kids that trick so they are more into the feel of it then the visual. I believe it gets you more hook ups that way. [cool]

Good luck.
[signature]
yesterday, it was 4 inches by the boat ramp, it really didn't look that safe on the other side of the ice to me, but there was people fish'n. but the boat ramp is were i would fish. we were out about 45ft
[signature]
That is 45 ft of water.
[signature]
Hey Clint, Thanks for the report. Talk to you more at work. The dude meant to lose his cell phone, he had nextel & it wouldn't work. He is going to get new phone with Verizon. Travis
[signature]
I was at RP on the 20th from 9:30 until 2:00. I landed 15 by 11:45 and then it was pretty slow after that but eventually I got my limit. The trick I use when the are biting light like they were Thursday is to constantly hold my rod and lift it up and down until I fill weight on the rod. Once you fill that extra weight give your rod a little flick and most of the time you will hook the fish. I rarely felt the fish strike at the lure.

I was fishing straight out from the boat ramp along with everyone else. It seemed like most people were catching quite a few as well. I hope conditions improve so that I can go again. The ice was sketchy to say the least.
[signature]
Here is a picture of some the perch. They were all 8 1/2 to 10".
[signature]