Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trip to Strawberry last Sat.
Hi all, Josh and I went to the Berry sat. morning. That is if you call getting him out of bed at 10:00am morning! We got there about 11:00 and decieded on the Horse Creek drainage area for starters. It was cold and windy and i had to walk back to thetruck to get Josh some warm gear to wear.

Well we started out with flys and spinnes neary a bite I might add. So Josh baited up a single hook with a nightcrawler and a garlic marshmellow (yellow with giltter) and got a few bites. I tried a double hook set up with nightcrawler on one and power bait on the other. The crawdads were biting!! But the trout were laying in wait somewhere else. So around 1:00 the shiners had thawed out and I slapped one of them on a #2 hook and floated it 3 to 4 feet below a bubble. That was the trick I had one on in no time. By that I mean I had just closed the bail on my reel and the bubble wasn't there any more. Josh did the same and for the next 4 hours we were catching fish. 10 total nothing really big seems they are ranging between 16 and 18 inches these days. I had one just over 19. But we still are missing those rainbows. We worked our way back out and I talked to others folks fishing around the lake. Most had caught a couple, and most of them were small (under 12 inches) and only one rainbow was taken and it was only 14 inches. But in all I had a great time and my son has finally broken his "I can't catch any fish and Strawberry" jix that he's been having for the past two seasons.

I'm hoping as the weather gets cooler the Bows will move a bit closer to the shore. I will be going to Deer Creek Wed. or Thurs. this week and will be targeting smallmouth and walleye. If it is like the last trip I don't expect many, but then again the browns may be bitting. Always something to catch at Deer creek.
[signature]
Where is the Horse Creek drainage area is that on the strawberry side or the solder creek side?
[signature]
It's on the Strawberry side between Haws point and Renegade. You have to park just off the pavement and hike down in. Not a bad hike though. Take what ya need on the way cause it's up hill on the way back and about 2 to 3 football fields away.
[signature]