Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fly fishing
I haven't been out for a while but am thinking about going this weekend. I wanted to go fly fishing but I haven't seen any reports about anything on the rivers. if there is a place to go please let me know if not I will have to go out on the Ice and try my luck out there.
[signature]
Hi Catcher,
The Weber River has been good for white fish and Brown Trout. Find the deep pools and fish a nymph on the very bottom. Move to the ripples to find some Cutthroat or Brown Trout. Standard flies like Pheasant Tails, Hairs Ears, Sow Bugs, Prince Nymphs, Scuds, etc are all good. Use a rubber leg hairs ear or a dubbed caddis for the white fish . The Prove has also had good reports, but I have not tried it yet this winter. Someone else will have to give you some tips for it. Good luck and fish on! DKS.
[signature]
DKS is right the weber is the hot spot for now. The middle provo is fishing well and so is the ogden. This is a good time to go for white fish on the logan. We are seeing a midge hatch around noon so you might get some dry action too.
[signature]
the middle and lower Provo have both been fishing well. The fish are generally hanging out in the slower water and the takes are a lot softer. (You probably knew all that!) Stick with sow bugs (#14 - #18) and small midge nymph patterns (#20 - #24). There have been some nice midge hatches during the middle of the day so be prepared for some surface action if that is your preference. Smaller flies definitely do better.

The info I'm getting from friends on the smaller creeks are they are catching fish but you have to really work for them. Not been great fishing though they are running really clear. Always nice to catch that mid-day midge hatch though. Winter is a fantastic time to fly fish.

I don't fish the Weber or the Ogden much so I have no worthwhile opinion on them.

Pretty hard to turn down the hard water fishing though. With this warm weather you may want to head up to Rockport after some perch since you never know how long the ice will last up there.
[signature]