Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ririe report for 2/5/05
Fished Ririe saturday (2/5/05) for a few hours around noon. The ice by the juniper ramp was 4"-6" depending on where you were. We had a few schools of kokanee come by. The only kokanee we caught were 6"-9" long but we did see a few larger ones swim by our holes. Some of the schools I could see swarming around my jig only a couple feet below the ice and others would be 10-25 below the ice. Most of the other 25+ anglers out there said the fishing was slow. Anglers in several different locations were catching kokanee but only a few anglers caught very many. The guys that knew how to capitalize when a school of kokanee came by did best.
I was using mostly 1 1/2" and 2" tub jigs but I think that smaller ice flies would be better for the kokanee. Meal worms and a small piece of a crawler seemed to work about equally as well.
The surprise of the trip was a 9" Brook Trout that I caught off the bottom in 25 feet of water. Anyone else ever catch a brook trout out of Ririe?
[signature]
Brian that was neat you got a Brookie. I have caught, small mouth, perch, cuts, bows, and kokanee all on the same trip. It can really surprise you sometimes! Sounds like its time to hit Ririe. I usually wait till February before I go up anyway. Kingfisheral
[signature]