Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake10-12-2002
[center][Image: winner.gif][/center]Fished all of Saturday afternoon. Actually cruised and used the fish finder about half the time. I looked for fish off Gus' Point and The Rock Pile and around the Utah State Park Marina. I checked all depths. I marked a few fish around the Rock Pile, but not many. No fish were in the shallows or up against the rocks around the marina, nor were they in the shallows elsewhere. If the Macs are staging for the spawn, they're staging out in 70 - 80 feet of water because that's where I found them, lots of them. I could see them on the fish finder come right up to my jig, look at it, and then slowly swim away. No color I tried worked, and I always had fresh Cisco on the hook. The Macs must be going into that mode where they don't care about eating and only care about spawning. If that is the case, they should soon be in the shallows and in the rocks.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]When WH2 and I were up there Friday we saw the exact opposite. There were very few fish deep and several fish in the 20 ft and shallower. Same results though.....no bites! At least you had the luxury of glass smooth water and no wind. We fought the wind and waves all the time we were out. We had 200 ft of anchor rope out and still had a rough time not pulling loose.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]If you didn't catch any of the fish you saw on sonar, how do you know the fish you were looking at were lake trout? Just wondering..... I've heard reports of several nice cuts being caught though.[/size][/font]
[signature]
To answer your question BLM, because when you fish for lakers, thats what is not biting your hook. It is really a simple concept. [sly] Ha Ha. Thanks for the report Rip n lips. I keep waiting for the news to be good so I can put the shot gun and rifle down and feel the cork again.
I'm assuming most of the fish I saw on the fish finder were Macs because they were hugging the bottom (undetectable by sonar until they raised for the jig) and in 70 - 80 feet of water. A few could have been Cutts, but it's unlikely that many of them were at that depth and hugging the bottom. There is the possibility that they could have all been white fish however. BLM and I have both seen such behavior by marks on the bottom and out deep and after a few hook-ups they've proven to be all White Fish.

Stone had a blurb in the latest F&H News and seemed to think that although the Macs are not actively feeding during the spawn, they could be enticed to byte on occasion if you put the right lure right on their nose. Of course we already knew that didn't we.
[signature]