Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Does anyone know a good welder???
I need to get a bumper welded on the front of my truck. Anyone know of a dependable welder thats does good work thats local????
[signature]
How local,I know a guy that will weld it for free if you can come down to salt lake,need to know what your welding,and I can get a hold of him.He welds for a living so I know he does good work.

Later,Tony
[signature]
Heres what I got.

A friend gave me a big steel bumper for my truck. The problem is its for a different year Chevy than mine. The mounts on the bumper is spaced futher apart than the mounts on my truck by about 2 inches. So what I want is some spacers welded in and the bumper welded to the truck. Should be a fairly easy job, but the bumper probably weighs in the 200 pound range. If you need more details let me know.

Thx Fool
[signature]
Sounds fairly simple Teroy,we can get some jack stands to hold it up in place and he can weld it in,you need to get your steel ready for the spacers,and he should be able to handle that no problem,I will give him a call,and tell him what your plans are,I really dont see any problem with that,when the time comes,I will give you my address,He welds right from his truck,really nice set up,but I dont want to ask him to travel to far,he lives a few miles from me,let me know when you are ready.

Later,Tony
[signature]
Yeah it won't be hard, I forgot to mention that my truck has 8 inches of lift[unsure] hope that won't be a problem?

What do you mean get the steel ready to weld?? Strip it down to bare metal??

Will he have steel to weld in for spacers???

I will provide the beer[Wink]
[signature]
You can get some scrap steel for cheap,at metal places,might be a good idea to get the steel,I dont know if he would have any scraps on his truck,and your right,you dont want that heavy bumper breaking the weld.you have to grind it to clean up the spot you want to weld,He will have a grinder to make quick work of that.let me know if you can get the metal,if your 2" to wide,get 1" steel plate,I will see if he has any thing that might hold the beast,lol

Later,Tony
[signature]
Thx Tony[cool]
[signature]
Teroy might I suggest U iron, that way you could weld it to the bumper where the mounting holes are. Then have the welder cut holes into it to match the holes you have. Then you would be able to remove it if you ever had the need to. Just a thought from a guy who welded one to his LandCruiers and then needed to remove it a couple of years later.
[signature]
I have used channel "U" iron beems for bumpers as well and I will say they hold up more abuse than you can imagin. and that includes them road deer as well.

as for mounting it, I have to agree with road.

4 case harden 1/2 inch lag bolts will hold up to all the abuse yu can muster (meaning the fram will bend befor the bolts give way.) and in cases where the frame bends weld tend to break.

you can drill 4 bolt holes a lot cheeper than welding.

learn from some one elses experience in this case and not by your own. it will save you money cash and time.

+ as road said you can take it with you when you change vehicles.
[signature]
Thx for the inputs guys. I had thought of that but, the problem is that the holes on the bumper and the holes in the frame do not line up. I am afraid if I drill 3 more holes in the area of the original holes in the frame, it will weaken the frame to much and will eventually crack from the bumps of my off-road adventures.
[signature]
TEROY
DID YOU GET IT WELDED? if not give me a call we can get it done 801-529-6071
charlie
[signature]
This post is from 2002.[crazy]
[url "../../../cgi-bin/community/community.cgi?do=user_page;pg=user_profile_view.html;username=Teroy"]Teroy[/url]
[img]../../../images/gforum/Chain%20Pickeral.gif[/img] (2253 posts)
10/18/02 6:03 AM
[signature]
LMAO Lets give Charlie a break he is a newbie oh and my boss. lol
Its all good.[cool]
[signature]
Thats some funny stuff....[Smile] Nice pick up I missed it....[shocked]

Rapalas R rated G for everyone..........................[fishin]
[signature]
Funny stuff right there..Seems to happen a couple times each year.
[signature]
This is EXACTLY why I never reply to a post that is NOT on the first page I see when I enter the forum. I have been here before when I was bait. although, I only brought up a six month old post.....not 7 years....sheesh...i dont care who you are, this is funny...now [blush][:p][Wink][Image: dumb.gif]
[signature]