Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mule Deer opener
[size 3]Northern Utah public land mule deer hunting is known to be quite a mess of people and confusion. But, there are still a few places where a guy can get into the high country and find himself a few deer without the hassle of crowds. I know, I was there. A long hike up a steep mountain side in the middle of the night found rainbow sparkle and my self at the snow level. Binoculars, spotting scope, and two cold men who were jittery with anticipation of what was to come watched deer funnel up a hill. One buck at the back, but he wasnt a shooter, at least not at this elevation. Over the edge of the ridge, more deer. We could see small dots of orange down below, hunters who had chosen not to climb to the tops of the mountain. More deer, but again, no shooter bucks. We were alone on the mountain, so with no one to push deer to us, we headed out to find the big boys on our own. Just before the sun came up and hit the hill side we had another buck in sight. Not a shooter. more deer, does, running around. The big bucks from earlier in the year had moved location and we couldnt relocate them. We spent the day on a cliff, saw a few more deer, then as it was getting dark, on the other side of the mountain, I spotted a decent buck. But by the time I got in range and position it was too dark. We came off the hill in the dark, without any deer. But we know they are there. With the severe lack of hunters, the big bucks from earlier will be around for next year if we dont find them this one. I went back out in the low country this morning and it was typical northern utah, lots of hunters, no deer. I have a couple days off, so hopefully I will be able to find a big one and put him down. Then its back to duck hunting. [/size]
You lucky Dog!! I miss Muley hunting in Utah, you definetly have some great quality bucks up there! Good Luck to you predator!
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Sounds like you have the right idea. Those mature bucks can vanish, so look in higher elevations than even Elk use. Heavy snow will push them down, hope it comes early this year. Good hunting, Ghost
[signature]
montana had 7 inches of the white snuff in the forcast to day

7 inches and climbing in the UP here in michigan ( hope them bow hunters are wearing their long jons.
[signature]
Snow in Montana is good news to me. We need some heavy snow's to get the Elk into their migration routes, which takes them to the ranch I'll be hunting on in a few weeks. Last year is was very hot for November in Montana. Saw a lot of young Bulls and Cows, but only one mature Bull; and he was 1,000+ yards away. Did manage to take a decent 4 point Muley. This year I'm hoping to connect with a Bull that is king of the mountain...well, I can wish can't I? Good hunting, Ghost
[signature]
Well, its over. As expected, I couldnt find the deer I wanted to kill. So, once again the freezer will be without venison for this year. Looks like its back to duck hunting.
Sorry to hear that PREDATOR, maybe you'll have a great Waterfowl season. From what I'm hearing there are a lot of birds migrating already. I'm taking my shotgun with me to MT as hardly anyone hunts Waterfowl there. I only wish MT hadn't raised their non resident Waterfowl stamp to $50 (ouch). Good hunting, Ghost
[signature]