Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pinview/Causey
Fished Pineview today with HA69. Got here at about 7:00am and started fishing the narrows. The fish where not willing to cooperate at pineview today we only got a couple strikes each and did not land any. The ice was 10" thick and the edges where in fairly good shape when we left at 3:00. Then we headed up to Causey to finish off the day. The fishing was alot better there, the splake are still active running any where from 25'-60'.
[signature]
That was the first time fishin' Causey on the ice . Water looks like it has dropped some since it iced . Caught my first ever splake . Yeppy !!
Pineview is a tough fishery for me on the ice the past few years . I know they are there somewhere . Just not on my line .
[signature]
Some pics to share of some guys skiing with kites . Lots of room on the ice here .
[signature]
I'll bet if you hooked into one of those you'd be in for a pretty good fight! Thanks for the update.
[signature]
It looks like you had a good trip to Causey. Congratulations on your catch it looks like it puts you in the lead in the MGB Challenge. I had notice that the water had dropped about 2 – 3 feet last time I was up there. I have found the afternoon has been the best for catching fish at Causey. There are more people that show up in the afternoon around 3:00 that that fish it all day.
[signature]
Yes , I finally have my 8 fish . Causey is not my forte . Only hit it after the View pounded me up . Still was hoping for something else to enter with some size to it . I have enough panfish .
[signature]
Hey MGB, glad you had some success.

What was the ice conditions at Causey? And how thick was the ice?

I started putting my ice gear away for the season but I love the scenery so much at causey I wouldn't mind taking another trip up your direction.
[signature]
The ice is in good condition at causey. I didn't measure it but I would guess it was around 10"-12" thick. The edges are in good shape and there is just a couple of inches of snow on the ice with no slush.
[signature]
I fished Causey on Monday (02/28) and the ice was around 12 inches+ and the edges were fine. The two times I've been to Causey this year, I got shunked - two bites in two trips. Both times I was marking fish but couldn't get any takers. On both occusions, I was fishing depths between 30-65 ft with the greatest numbers on marked fished being present in 50 ft on water a few feet off the bottom. I traditionally fish the rock points near the dam area and the "interscection" of the 3 arms. Any suggestions from those individuals who actually caught a fish from Causey this year? From some reason the fish at Causey have my number this year! I want to go again this ice season to Causey, so any hints/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
midge
I haven't fished Causey as much as some of the guys this year but there are two things that can help you: The first thing is fish the bottom for splake or at least right off the bottom. This does not mean you can't catch them higher but my best luck came when fishing very near the bottom. The second thing is, have a fish finder because you need to know when the kokes come threw. When you see fish come threw between 5 and twenty feet(sometimes deeper), they are most likely kokanee, reel up as quick as you can. I've had my best luck with small ice jigs like pink glow Rat Finkies tipped with wax or meal worms. I hope you have better luck on your next trip. WH2
[signature]
WH2,
Thanks for the suggestions! I have a finder and was fishing a few cranks off the bottom based on the depth/fish that was displayed on the finder. I have fished it in previous years and was met with success but this year for some reason I haven't been able to figure out the successful patterns and/or location - what a difference a year makes, huh! I guess that's why they call it fishing not catching. Either way, its still a beautiful location and the weather was great, so it wasn't a complete waste - beats being at work any day. Thanks again for your input!
midge