Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help a newbie! please!
i'm new to vegas from northern utah, the land of many many close places to fish. i need help cuz i'm not at all familliar with the areas fisheries. i'm sure there are great places on lake mead if ya know em but i'm lost. can you guys tell me some good spots to get away to on a sat. or sun. morning that are fairly close and accessible. i sold my truck when i moved here for a fuel efficient car so i can make the long drive home a lot but now i'm limited to the places i can access in the wilderness. sucky. i will fish for any kind of fish. being from northern utah i know a lot about trout fishin and i've been into bass a lot recently. but i just wanna fish man! it's been since august that i last went and i'm goin crazy! any advice on somewhere to go. i have waders and a float tube, no boat, its in utah, but some shore fishin or easy wadin or tubin is what i'm lookin for. thanks guys for the help.
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic sans ms"] Hey there jj74, welcome to Southern Nevada and welcome to the Nevada board. Well, coming from Northern Utah, you may be a little disappointed with the fishing in Southern Nevada. Not many fishing water options unless you want to travel. As Doz2 mentioned [url "http://ndow.org/fish/"]NDOW[/url] is a good place to start. You can pick and choose your fish of choice and they will tell which waters they can be found. If your not familiar with large bodies of water, Lake Mead can be brutal and not very forgiving in a float tube. We have a few members that go out there in their tubes and get results. A side note: Stripers are a migratory fish. They can be any place at anytime. They're always looking for an easy meal. (typically not the meal I offer)

Take care,
David
[signature]
i dont mind a little travel. but i kinda like somewhere close for a quick evening get away too. looks like ill be makin some trips to quail creek and gunlock in utah since i'm familliar with them already. i dont know where any thing here is besides lake mead and i wouldnt even know where to start there. any of thoes lakes on the ndow site worth traveling to?
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic sans ms"] Quail Creek, we should look into making a trip up there someday. I would like to get in some of those bass and crappie. I've only been there once (with my daughter) and took me a while to mark fish. But, by that time she had enough of the boat/water thing and we headed for the house.

Take care,
David
[signature]
If you want some nice Lake Mead Shore access, head to 8 Mile Road. Take Lake Mead in north Las Vegas out to the lake, and make a left at that T in the road right after the ranger station, the one with the sign to Overton. Follow that til you hit " Mile Marker 8 " and you should see a pretty wide dirt road on your right. Follow that down and go past the campers and assorted nutcases that live there, and you can find alot of shore access. You don't need 4wd either.

Also, on Lake Mead in Henderson, keep going past the ranger station until you see signs for the Trout Hatchery, they will say closed for rennovations. Right past there is a dirt road on the immediate left, Saddle cove I belive its called. Follow that down and you'll hit a fork.
the left fork is usually crowded, and lot of morons are there. If you take the right fork, and make your first left, you can go down a nice area, seems a bit shallower though. You'll be fishing by the side of the moutain there. Again, no need for 4wd there.

These are the two places I head too.

Also, If its a bit breezy at your house, it may be worse out at the lake. I generally don't like fishing in 2 foot waves.. he he eh..

I'm heading down to 8 mile road on Wednesday and going to take my camera with me, I'll be able to take some pictures of the area if you like, for some reference.
[signature]