Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duck hunting...virgin here.
I want to try getting ducky this fall. What kind of license and stuff do I need? I have a boat to go in, got a lab and can borrow a gun. My real questions are licensing, location (is the berry any good?) and where the heck can I find a waterfowl proclomation to read the rules??? thanks in advance.
Laters,
[signature]
05-06 waterfowl proc is not out yet, last years is a good reference. Last year was my first year out so I am by no means a seasoned fowler but I have learned a few things. You will be addicted; you will spend lots of money on gear, shells, decoys; you will learn that your significant other is either patient and caring and understand your new afliction or you will have a dear john letter on your truck windshield. Be prepared to stink and get dirty and bathe the dog weekly, or keep it outside. Saturdays are terrible at the WMA's, try to avoid them if at all possible.

As far a license, you will need a small game and a federal duck stamp (very fun to get the stamp at the post office, i think they employ the biggest number of PETA folks around). You will also have to register with HIP which is free. The stamp will cost 15.00. The stamp is good June to June each year and alows you to pass on WMA's year round when they are open.

I would be more than willing to take up a seat on your boat and take your dog or mine, I even have a gun I can lend ya. If you want to chat more shoot me a PM and I can try my best to help you out.
[signature]
Good info from the OEJ. I too think it's funny buying the duck stamp from the post office. Of course if you want you can buy them at most sporting goods stores, including Wally World.

As far as where to go, there are a lot of places to hunt ducks around here. I've never actually hunted the berry, but I've been up there fishing during the waterfowl season, and I've heard some blasting going on, and I know a few guys that do it. I've heard mixed success up there, but if you can also catch a few fish, your ahead of the game.

Good luck, be careful, and have fun!
[signature]
You need a:
Waterfowl Proc. comes out in Sept.
Combination licence or hunting licence
Duck Stamp (they come out in the fall)
Reliable 12 gauge (use improve cylinder for a choke)
Steel shot (I use size 2)
Good camo jacket
Good chest waders (Camo perf.)
Good duck call (Mallard Call will work)
Good dog
2-3 Dozen Decoys (Mallards with some teals mixed in)
I have some for sale ready to hunt with.
2+ dozen Mallards with a dozen Greenwing teals in two bags
All made by Flambeau I'll sell to you for $60
Decoys run about $30/doz plus weights and cord
If you live in the valley the best place to hunt is bear river bird refuge.
Keep in touch..
I hunt every weekend for ducks in the fall..
Pete
[signature]
The one piece of advice that I can give...go out and mark off 40 yards. Make sure you memorize exactly how far it is. Then, NEVER fire at a duck that is out farther. Some people claim that they can kill birds at 80 yards and I guess sometimes they get a lucky BB to the head, but you will RARELY knock down anything past 50 yards (with steel shot) and if you do, it will still be very much alive. If you need a good example of exactly not what to do, go out to the main dike between units 1 and 2 at Farmington Bay on any given day during the season (Saturdays are comical). 98% of the birds tht get shot at are WAY out of range and you'll have prime examples of the kind of duck hunter that you don't want to be.

Personally, if its more than 35 yards out, I don't shoot.

***DISCLAIMER...I realize that not all people that hunt the dikes are skybusting idiots...just most of them are. I even occationally hunt the dikes when the divers are in thick. If you wait, you can get some good shots.
[signature]
Good call here.... I got that experience last fall hunting the dike out there... The first day my buddy that took me sat me down and said, don't shoot, just watch and that was the most comical two hours of my fall/winter last year.... it got really annoying after multiple trips out there so I started hauling dekes and walking way out in the units to set up so I could get away from "skybusters". If you walk a ways most of the people are too lazy to follow and you'll have birds all to yourself. This being said, during the mornings and evenings on nasty days and weekdays, you can have some productive hunts on the dike. One thing to remember, as the season progresses, the birds wise up and the flight path changes almost daily..... The smart ones don't forget which bushes spat steel at them the day before. Leaky can probably chime in on this because I met up with him at FB last year and he also hunts the Ogden WMA and some of the others. He's a good ethical hunter and one thing he will probably tell you is get a dog. You'd just about die at some of the stories he's told me about hunters that shoot ducks with no way (Dog, Waders, Boat) to retrieve them.... Good luck to you and let me know if you want somebody to go with and I'll take you out and let you and a buddy hunt over my spread.... No, I'm not a guide or anything like that, but its always nice to be able to contribute to a new waterfowler doing things right..... It sure was nice to have somebody else show me the ropes the first time out....
[signature]