Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urban Fishing
We took my wife's little sisters (ages 10 and 7) over to Desert Breeze Park on Saturday evening to try for some catfish. As we were setting up some redneck came up to us to brag about his friends that had just left with a cooler "overflowing" with catfish. I asked him how many people it took to catch all of them and he responded "oh it was just them two, no one else." I wish I had seen them so that I could report the SOB's. These ponds are designed for quick trips by responsible fisherment and for kids to be introduced to the sport. They are not meant for idiots to go meat shopping!!! Especially only a couple of days after they stock the place!!! [mad] Remember...the adult limit on an urban lake is 4 catfish!!!

We fished the last hour before sunset through about 30 minutes after the sun was down. There were a lot of people on the lake, but I only saw one other person catch a fish. We ended up catching 12 cats and missing about 7 or 8 more. We let most go back, but let each girl keep her limit of two so that they could eat them. The largest kitty was just over 4lbs and the smallest was just under 15 inches. The average fish was probably just over 1 pound. We were using shrimp on fished on the bottom. Good times and good memories....especially seeing a 10 year old bring in that big cat on my ultralight rod with 4 pound test!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Jack, looks like you are the only BFTer in AZ. Glad you are finding some sport on the local ponds.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The large channels are starting to wake up here, on Utah Lake. But, like you guys, we have had a series of storms move through and that has made fishing a sporadic thing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]At least the lakes are all coming up. Looks like a good water year for Utah.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Too bad about the fish hogs. They used to patrol the lakes pretty regularly and wrote a lot of tickets. At least you know that not all the violators are in Utah.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
On your next trip over to the lake, remember there is a good trick for those stocked lakes. Us a jumbo marshmellow just above the the hook and it will cause a little flotations for the shrimp. It is just enought to keep it on the very bottom and put it right in the feeding zone.

I catch and release many fish in a day using that method.[cool]
[signature]
Sounds like a good idea. I'll have to try it out. Are you saying to put it up the hook like on the shank around the eye?

-Jack
[signature]
That is correct.

There are 2 other popular recipes that they use over here, although I like using my Shrimp for the kittys.

1st recipe is called "M & M" That is the Marshmallow & Meal worm.

2nd recipe is call "M N M" That is the combo of Marshmallow, Nightcrawler, Mealworm.

With these 2 recipes, you will use the mini marshmallows putting one before and after each bait.[cool]
[signature]