Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
out of state trip
[cool]I went to Pleasant Valley Res. just north of Bishop,Ca. last week with a couple of fishing buddies to get in some trout fishing and R&R. We got rained out on tuesday but more than made up for it on wed,thurs,and friday. Our fish averaged close to 3lbs. and all fell between 2lbs and 4lbs. All fish were rainbow trout but we did manage a couple browns that were small enough to let go. We did most of our catching on flyrods using black woolybuggers. The rest were caught on powerworms. We fished from our floattubes( which are the only "vessels" allowed on the res.) and a little from shore. The pics show two table shots from two separate days. These were great fights on the flyrods and the ultralight spinningrods. Hopefully I can make it back to the eastern sierras in may.
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic sans ms"] Thanks for the report BigE,
I've never been to that Res. With all those fish did you manage to get any R&R

Take care,
David
[signature]
[cool]Thanks Powermaker. Yeah I got some rest when I got back home. LOL.
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic sans ms"] BigE, you should post your report on the California Board also. They may be interested in your trip. You could just post a link back to this report to save the typing it all over thing.

Take care,
David
[signature]
That's a nice report. It's a good thing you didn't wait around for the big opener that's going on at the end of this month(April)

That whole area becomes a mad house. I will be going up North to Bishop towards the beginning of summer and then at the end of summer.

There are so many good places to fish up there and it's hard to hit all the spots. I have been fishing that area for the last 18 yrs or so and finally found some nice bass ponds about 7 yrs ago.

Let me know if you guys would like to meet up there some day. I'll be glad to show you some of my favorite spots.[cool]
[signature]
[cool]Thanks tubeN2. I too have been fishing the eastern sierras for about 20 years and am still finding more areas to fish. I have tried the buckley ponds outside of bishop in march but have yet to connect with a bass there, I have caught largemouth bass out of the owens outside of big pine though. Yeah I know what you mean about the opener. I usually wait til may to start my fishing in the mountains there. I also like to go back to reds meadow area to fish starkweather and sotcher lakes. Here are some pics from last august. I'll try to let you know when I plan another trip up there.
[signature]
Hey BigE. The Buckley ponds are the exact ones that I am talking about.

My son and I have caught many LMB as well as Smallies from there. One of the main colors for them is the pumpkin seed and other shades of brown.

We do well even with brown sparkle rooster tail for the smallies, pumkin seed worms and leeches for the LMB and black rooster tails for the Blue gilles there.

I am planning to go there for Memorial weekend. I will be taking my tube this time. There are some very nice LMB in 2 of the main ponds as well as some very large Cats.

Let me know if you would like to meet over there around that time. I will also go during Labor Day weekend.

If you would like to meet up there, I can give you my cell # in a PM or you can get it from Powermaker.[cool]
[signature]
From the 395 heading North, go to Bishop and turn right on Line Rd. Continue for about 2 miles until you get to the Cemetery.

Turn right on the first dirt road after the Cemetery. Stay on the dirt road for about 3/4 mile to get to the first good pond. In that pond there are Smallies as well as LMB. Stay with the pumpkinseed colors.

Rooster tails for the smallies and worms for the LMB.

The next pond is only about 1/4 mile from that one. Stay on the dirt road and only take the right hand turns. The next pond is on the left.

The last good pond is 1 mile more from there. Continue around the dirt road with only the right hand turns. You will come upon a pond that is called the Duck Pond because of the Duck moss.

Fishing near either of the 2 bridges is good. You can also launch your "Yak" from that one.

Let me know if you need anymore details and the outcome of your trip.[cool]
[signature]