Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lures with LED's
To all fellow night fishermen,

I once had access to a Rapala like plug's made of translucent plastic that when placed into water would light up with some LED's inside. Some were red and some green. Then as soon as you pull them out of the water they shut off because the power ran from two metal contacts through the water. They were absolute murder on Macs in certain circumstances and I have not been able to find any since that time. I have no idea what they were called but wondering if anyone else has seen anything like that.

They are worth there weight in gold at Bear Lake.

tightline
[signature]
I have seen some LED stuff advertised on the outdoor channel. I always figured you were fishing for a reaction bite with one of those rather than a feeding strike. I always wondered if they would work and under what conditions, but never knew anyone with the guts to fork out the initial money for one. It seems like they were spendy. I dont know where you would find one anymore. If Bass Pros carries them you ought to be able to find them at the on-line superstore here at BFT.
Here's a website where you can order the "THUNDERLURE"...not available in stores...at the fabulous price of only $29.95 for three. The pics look like the lure you described. [url "http://www.ffmpartners.com/Thunderlures2002/ordering.htm"]http://www.ffmpartners.com/Thunderlures2002/ordering.htm[/url]

I'll take your word that these work, and that they are not just battery-operated "Banjo Minnows".

Have you tried painting some jigs and/or lures with some of the new glow in the dark paints? I have started experimenting with some stuff from Jann's Netcraft. You need to paint it over a good white base, but you can get it in regular glow (whitish), hot yellow, hot red and orange, and a blue color that I hear is deadly on macks...especially through the ice.
[signature]
I was one to buy the Vortex fishing lures . I still have them too ! I tried them one night on a river but never caught anything on them . I look at them as more of a novelty to me . I found this web page but also found something about a bankrupcy with Vortex fishing systems . Web page http://www.shoppingshownetwork.com/vortex_lures.html not sure if this is going to work but I do have a address in Kalispell MT if interested . By the way I like the night life on the waters . tight lines
[signature]
Here ya go...the 5 1/2" lighted Vortex minnows at $13.95 each. They do look like Rapalas. You can order them from this website:

[url "http://basstournaments.safeshopper.com/86/303.htm?725"]http://basstournaments.safeshopper.com/86/303.htm?725[/url]
[signature]
Wow! $14 I guess it is worth it though. I do alot with glow stuff when fishing for Macs. I have painted about every lure imaginable. I have never seen a lure that blinked the ones I used in the past just lit up but they are worth a try. I will keep everyone updated.

tightline
[signature]
Hey tube dude, I have been messing around with the glow paint as well. have you tried it without the white? Dont, it doesnt work. with the white you only have to coat it once and get a good finish, I tried it without and after four coats it still doesnt look brightly colored or glow very well. I am going to try it over the top of previoulsy colored jig heads to see if it improves the color plus adds glow or if it just ruins the original finish. Have you tried this yet? Oh and did the banjo minnows get every single angler on this planet? I dont know anyone who didnt have them at one time.
Hey, Predator........a fellow jig-making person. We'll have to swap some trade secrets. If you want, I have writeups on 1. Making jigs from split shots. 2. Pouring lead head jigs. 3. Painting and colors 4. Glitter paints. Email me if you would like any of that stuff.

I have been using the fluorescent colors for about twenty years and found out early that they turned out a lot better if you used a bright white epoxy paint as a base coat. Most of the enamels and even some of the vinyls can soften and blend with fluorescents, which contain strong solvents.

Because of my early lessons with fluorescent (day-glow), I naturally just use the same epoxy white under my glow-in the dark (phosphorescent) paints. To increase the gloss and the durability, I finish them all with a clear epoxy coating. This makes them last longer if you are bouncing them off the rocks, but doesn't help if you get snagged.

With a bright white base, you may be able to get by with one coat of glow paint, but I seem to do best with two coats. Any more coats do not seem to add appreciably to the color or the glow, but will use up your expensive paints faster and take more time to finish.

My "tackletorium" room has several shelves full of different kinds of adhesives and paints I have worked with over the years. It really makes for a better end product when you use the right stuff for the job at hand. I'll be happy to "download" my preferences for any tricky gluing or painting projects anyone is working on.

Oh yeah. Have you tried working with the "powder coating" paints? They put a nice hard plastic-resistant coating on jig heads but they take a lot more time to do a batch, and are no better than my trusty epoxy paints. There's also quite a bit of waste, and you have to clean the hard finish out of the hook eyes on your jigs...which is a pain. That's how I feel about them.
[signature]
[center][#ff00ff][size 1]For a great tip about an inexpensive trick to putting just the right fishing to a hot lure. I actually had all but forgotten about it. It gives me great pleasure to see that others are still out there using this great tip.[/size][/#ff00ff][/center] [center][Image: winner.gif][/center] [center][#ff0000]Week Ending 11-16-02: [/#ff0000][/center]

[size 1]TubeDude

I may not be a jig master like yourself but a trick I never leave home without on any trip is simply Glow fingernail polish. It is available at clearance prices now after Halloween. The best part about it is you can add it to any lure and be fishing it within 10 minutes. It will come in a number of colors but I have noticed the standard white which glows green like a cylum stick seems to be the brightest. Works great when your on a trip to the Gorge and decide to fish for some Macs in the middle of the night or some browns on the river below.[/size][Wink]

tightline
[signature]
Good tip, Tightline. I know more than a few anglers who carry nail polish in their tackle boxes. A mark or two of red, for gill slashes, can dress up a dull hardbait and draw reaction bites. A line here, a bar there...or some extra spots can give a lure a whole new appeal. I have long carried the clear polish for quick repairs on unraveled jigs or fly heads.

I have never looked for the glow in the dark stuff, but I know there are some new and interesting pearlescent and sparkle finishes that should work for at least a temporary color adjustment. The only thing is, most nail polishes don't survive more than a couple of dings against rocks or wood.

As long as you don't waste valuable fishing time touching up your own nails...or start carrying lipstick in your tackle box too...I guess we don't need to worry about you.

It's funny what us hairy chested he-men fishermen sometimes do to enjoy our manly sport. Down in the Louisiana delta waters, there are some big nasty mosquitos, and some little teeny biting bugs called "no-see-ums". I don't know who first discovered it, but now all the ragin' Cajuns down there wear Avon Skin So Soft as a bug repellent. It really works on the local bugs, but you can't hardly stand to go into a bait shop early in the morning without a gas mask. The combination of rotten bait, unwashed fishing clothes and Skin So Soft definitely rates as air pollution.
[signature]
[Smile]Hello fellow fisherpeople,

Here in the great Northwest we have been using Lighted Vortex Lures and Lighted K-13 Kwikfish to catch a lot of Salmon and Steelhead. So far this season (since Sept. 20), my boat has put 88 Steelhead into the boat, along with 30 Fall Chinook! These fish absolutely hammer these plugs. In the past 12 years we have boated over 1200 Steelhead and 500 Salmon. We use these plugs at night, above the Dams on the Columbia and Snake Rivers. We slowly troll these plugs around with glow sticks on the end of our rods. It is comical to see 50-75 boats all trolling around with the glow sticks on. It looks like a firefly convention. I fished 2 nights ago above McNary Dam on the Columbia and hooked 10 steelhead and landed 7. I was able to bring home 4 big hatchery steelhead measuring 36.5,35,33 and 30 inches. So for those of you who scoff at the use of lighted lures, you are missing out on some great fishing! Sleep tight and don't let the Steelhead and Salmon bite! Search the wall of fame and look at the Steelhead FEAR NO FISH! has caught!

Fish all night, sleep all day!

FEAR NO FISH!
[signature]
I appreciate all the input. And I am not sure if it is good or bad to see other people having success with these. I guess the secrets out now.

Thanks,

tightline
[signature]