Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
east canyon
just posting a report on east canyon.

went last saturday 9th of Nov. im happy to say the rainbows are fat and fiesty. Was a overcast stormy day with a few snow sprinkles. Fished from the dam and caught 4 nice bows. The length of the rainbows is increasing and they averaged around 14 - 18 in. The nice part is they resemble there cousins down in Otter Creek with plump bellys and all they are missing are threads on their backs. Football fish. I started at 2 fished till dark. Only one other spawn tin can boat on the lake trolling. They picked up two that i saw. The parasites are still noticable here but for anyone that doesnt know it is not damaging to the meat or a health issue if someone eats them. Anyone that does go i would suggest letting the larger fish go please and allow them to spawn again. The lake was hurting last year and the larger rainbows were disappearing. But they seem to be making a terrific comeback. With the forage base in East Canyon the fish grow extraordinarily fast. This time of year is exceptional on the res. I post this with hopes that i didnt ruin my second favorite spot. I trust this site and post these things were as before i would never post this kind of information knowing what might happen.

Happy fishing

xman
[signature]
Hey thanks for the post, I will have to give it a try. I will most definitly honor your wishes and release the big ones. I mostly catch and release anyway. Were you using rainbow powerbait?? I heard that this or a worm and white marshmellow were the best bet from shore.
[signature]
i virtually never bait fish. another one of my secrets i guess ill shed a bit here is i use jigs. they like yellow and red and or pink and white with a black base color. rapalas work well when they are not hanging low. email me and ill give you more info if you would like

xman
[signature]
Xman,

Did you happen to notice if the docks are still in the water? I was planning to go last weekend but someone told me they took the docks out of the water.

I think the parasites are helping the comeback because to the average fisherman the trout with the disease don't look edible. I don't know alot about it but I like anything that encourages catch and release of larger fish.

Cableguy
[signature]
hmm i didnt really take notice but if i remember right i do believe the docks were gone. and yes i agree from that point the parasite is helping in that aspect. unfortunately when it overruns the fish they die. but it seems to take it along time for that to happen
[signature]
Correct my if I'm wrong but I thought all the rainbows that the DWR plants are sterile. They manage the rainbows like the wipers at Willard put and take. But I do agree throw the big ones back lets let them get bigger. Another thing that I have heard is that East Canyon is Qxygen deficient which makes the survial rate from year to year not very good. But I am no expert this is just what I have heard.
[signature]
east canyon has natives if you will dump in from the creek as far as i know the planters are sterile but alot of the fish you catch there are not planters. it is oxygen deficient that is why the parasites attach themselves to the fish there easily. the thermal layer is limited. with all this going against the fish there they still do really well and grow large
[signature]
I'm with you XMAN. I have caught many of Cutthroat and CutBows that are deffinitely not planters. I also know they haven't planted Browns there in years. The biggest rainbow I have ever seen came from there and it was as healthy as any fish at Strawberry or the Gorge. It was 33" long and was released for another day. It may not support massive amounts of fish but it does produce some bruisers. I highly encourage everyone to release the big boys so we can all see some more 10+ pounders.

I think all of us would rather catch and release a couple 25+ inch fish and let them go instead of 4 12" that we take home and throw in the freezer.

I have no problem with someone keeping the planter put and take fish but lets let anything over 16" grow to 26". It doesn't take long if we just do our part.

Tightline
[signature]